First Edition Art Manager
By jjh (Johnny Holeva)
 - First Edition Art Manager
 -  
Hello,
Could someone walk me step-by-step what actually happens when Disrupted Continuum is flipped to play? i.e. who is able to download and seed a replacement?

This card has my brain going in circles.

Any help is appreciated.
Thank you.
Johnny
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
It uses the English grammar concept of "You (understood)". So when it directs that something must happen, it means you must do it, with you being the person whose card this is. So:

Once per game, you may discard this event to nullify a non- [Q] dilemma that your opponent just revealed; you may download and seed a replacement [1E-S] or [1E-P] dilemma.

You have this on table.
Your opponent reveals a non- [Q] dilemma.
You flip DC and discard it to nullify that dilemma.
Then you download and seed a replacement dilemma.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
1. Your opponent attempts a mission and flips the first dilemma

2. You reveal Disrupted Continuum in response to the dilemma reveal.

3. You discard the dilemma revealed and immediately download and seed a [1E-P] or [1E-S] dilemma under the mission.

4. Your opponent's mission attempt continues revealing the next dilemma - in this case the one you just downloaded and seeded.

5. That dilemma - and all subsequent relevant subactions of the mission attempt - resolve as normal.

Real world example from Manassters 2019:

I'm playing Austin. Turn X: Austin, having just waited out a Personal Duty/ Friendly Fire combo, reattempts his space mission and hits The Ghost of Cyrus Ramsey, which stops him. Turn X+1: Austin plays more Transporter Skill, moves his second ship over to the same mission, beams some people around, and attempts.

When he revealed Cyrus Ramsey, I revealed DC, discarding Cyrus Ramsey and downloading The Whale Probe, which he subsequently encountered, putting both his ships there in stasis. This bought me a critical extra turn that ended up making the difference in what turned out to be a 90-75 Mod Win.

Does that process outline and example help?

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
jjh wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:45 am My thanks to Brian and Brian.

And yes, I would have played this card COMPLETELY wrong the way I was reading it.
Yea it's an easily confusing card bc you have to mentally resolve the idea that when I attempt a mission it's my opponent who reveals dilemmas even though from a practical standpoint I'm the one reaching under to pull the dilemma out so as to not create timing misplays on responses, etc.
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
Hoss-Drone wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:05 pm
jjh wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:45 am My thanks to Brian and Brian.

And yes, I would have played this card COMPLETELY wrong the way I was reading it.
Yea it's an easily confusing card bc you have to mentally resolve the idea that when I attempt a mission it's my opponent who reveals dilemmas even though from a practical standpoint I'm the one reaching under to pull the dilemma out so as to not create timing misplays on responses, etc.
Uh... I think this is an incorrect interpretation. The person attempting a mission is the one who slides out the card and is the one who reveals it. Ownership of the dilemma doesn't matter.
Glossary: dilemma resolution wrote:When you attempt a mission, slide out the bottom seed card under the mission, turn it over to reveal it, and read it.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
JeBuS wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:16 pm Uh... I think this is an incorrect interpretation. The person attempting a mission is the one who slides out the card and is the one who reveals it. Ownership of the dilemma doesn't matter.
Glossary: dilemma resolution wrote:When you attempt a mission, slide out the bottom seed card under the mission, turn it over to reveal it, and read it.
:thumbsup:
Dilemmas are "played" from the perspective of the attempting player. (Just remember "opponent's choice" and everything snaps into place :) )
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
If I can put it another way: Disrupted Continuum is a "defensive" card, not an "offensive" card. You can't use it during your mission attempt to change the dilemmas. But you can use it during your opponent's mission attempt to change the dilemma.

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Yeah, basically its saying, if you know the combo isn't going to work b/c the 1st card just botched, the second might be completely useless so replacing it with just a general dilemma might be better.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
HoodieDM wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:32 pm Yeah, basically its saying, if you know the combo isn't going to work b/c the 1st card just botched, the second might be completely useless so replacing it with just a general dilemma might be better.
Or you've set up an audible so you can swap in a more specialized dilemma - say, Abandon Ship! as part of a battle strategy.

Jared Hoffman FW Mathew McCalpin 100-12

Card of the Day: Dumb Waiter

Does Dumb Waiter still work if you don't comma[…]

I just booked my flight for Thursday afternoon arr[…]

solved, thanks :thumbsup: