By WeAreBack
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
This is going to sound really dumb but I'd like some insight on the order in which cards seeded outside the seed phase are going to be encountered. Do they follow the regular order as if they were the last cards seeded at the mission?

For example, if I use Beware of Q to play a Q-Flash under a mission (that is, the third use on the card), my opponent is going to see me doing it. If I seed it as the next card they would encounter, then they are obviously going to pull the old fashioned "red shirt" and send down a small away team that encounters a minimal number of [Q] cards.

Likewise, if I use Local Trouble to download Archer and Hunter Gangs, would one of these two cards be the next cards that my opponent encounters on the mission? Or would they only face these only after the other cards seeded during the dilemma phase? Again, I feel like my opponent isn't stupid - if "stopped" by local trouble, the next away team that beams down is going to be full of people with only even Cunning, have at least 2 security and 2medical and not have anyone they really care enough about to lose 5/10 points over (Thus, overcoming all 3 possible dilemmas or avoiding/minimizing = their consequences regardless of the order they appear in.)

Alternatively, if I have something with a timer on it like the Vengeance Factor, I would want to be careful not to accidentally stick a wall in between it and the cards it downloads -- Microvirus and The Gatherers being pretty easy to get past unless they are doubled.

Thanks
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
You have the rule basically right. The downloaded dilemma is encountered next. I always hope very hard opponent won't get stopped by Local Trouble, so he can't prep.

Opponent does NOT get to see the specific dilemmas you download and seed, so will have to prepare against ALL dilemmas on the list of downloadables.

On Beware of Q, the replacement happens during the mission attempt, so there's nothing opponent can do about it. The Q-Flash hits immediately and affects the entire team that was facing the dilemma that was revealed before you replaced it.

By WeAreBack
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I get how if a dilemma tells me to "download and seed," I might assume (and I did) that the newly downloaded cards go in the same "space in the dilemma stack" that the downloading card was occupying. (You [DL] a phaser, it goes wherever the [DL] icon was used, makes sense.) Same goes if you replace a dilemma with a Q-flash using the most popular function of card1]Beware of Q[/card1].

But for Beware of Q I was actually thinking of its little-used third function of allowing you to seed an EXTRA Q-Flash during the game as an extra seed card, rather than by replacing an existing dilemma. (The idea these days seems to be to play all your ships, personnel and equipment for free, right? Why not use your regular card play to add some frustration for your opponent?)

The other card this kind of "during play" seeding is relevant for is All Consuming Evil. I can discard that card to download an Armus dilemma (without showing it to my opponent) and seed it under a mission. Would it really then be the first thing they encounter? Would the same apply to the downloaded an seeded Q-Flash?

If so, doesn't this mean that cards seeded during the main play phase of game are being put on the BOTTOM of seed pile, contrary to how they seed in the dilemma phase?

The rules say that:
"The player who owns the bottom seeded mission card seeds the bottom card (the one encountered first) then his or her opponent places a card on top of that card. Repeat until all cards have been seeded, then move on to the next shared mission."
https://www.trekcc.org/op/1e_rulebook/i ... LEMMAPHASE

Because downloading Armus: Energy Field (which my opponent is probably going to guess, since it's the only dilemma that I could possibly be seeding at a space mission) is pretty good if it's encountered as the first dilemma since it forces the attempting player to send in personnel who can meet the mission requirements.... but it's pretty terrible if it's the last one!
 -  
Community Contributor
WeAreBack wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:48 pmThe rules say that:
"The player who owns the bottom seeded mission card seeds the bottom card (the one encountered first) then his or her opponent places a card on top of that card. Repeat until all cards have been seeded, then move on to the next shared mission."
https://www.trekcc.org/op/1e_rulebook/i ... LEMMAPHASE
This is a special case that applies only (as far as I can think) to shared missions in OTF format.

In all other contexts (that I can think of), seeding means "put a card beneath the mission as the bottom seed card, to be encountered next."

That said, you make an interesting point: OTF has so little of this seeding (due to batch seeding) that it might benefit from having this defined in the rules.

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:16 pm On Beware of Q, the replacement happens during the mission attempt, so there's nothing opponent can do about it. The Q-Flash hits immediately and affects the entire team that was facing the dilemma that was revealed before you replaced it.
OP was talking about the third function of Q Flash: "OR Plays to download and seed a Q-Flash under any mission; discard objective." This doesn't happen during the mission as far as I can tell. I didn't even remember that this part of the card existed, because as stated above, it entirely loses the element of surprise.
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
geraldkw wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:57 am OP was talking about the third function of Q Flash: "OR Plays to download and seed a Q-Flash under any mission; discard objective." This doesn't happen during the mission as far as I can tell. I didn't even remember that this part of the card existed, because as stated above, it entirely loses the element of surprise.
In Open, you'd be using this to trade card plays for seed slots. (Rather than pay seven slots for side deck + one under every mission, you save some number of mission slots and stock these to get the flashes later.) But 1E players place a high value on reliability *and* on value for a card play, so I don't think it ever saw major use for that use. It looks like "paint a goat red" text to me.
 -  
Community Contributor
geraldkw wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:57 am
BCSWowbagger wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:16 pm On Beware of Q, the replacement happens during the mission attempt, so there's nothing opponent can do about it. The Q-Flash hits immediately and affects the entire team that was facing the dilemma that was revealed before you replaced it.
OP was talking about the third function of Q Flash: "OR Plays to download and seed a Q-Flash under any mission; discard objective." This doesn't happen during the mission as far as I can tell. I didn't even remember that this part of the card existed, because as stated above, it entirely loses the element of surprise.
Oh! Huh! Quite right! Shoulda read OP more carefully. Thanks.

I didn't want to knock anyone's choice while votin[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Stefan Manz !

Good mornin' lad (ie) s, just got me thinking: […]

NE Oklahoma, SE Kansas?

Yes, it was at Redeemer in Bartlesville. Unfortuna[…]