First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
Ensign Q wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:04 pm Niall, your strategy to win is to be better at the rules and knowledge of unchecked fringe strategies. thats fine, but not an enjoying experience ;)
If you are referring to Crell Moset, that is not an unchecked, fringe strategy.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
KazonPADD wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:28 pm
Ensign Q wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:04 pm Niall, your strategy to win is to be better at the rules and knowledge of unchecked fringe strategies. thats fine, but not an enjoying experience ;)
I think the main issue here is you got surprised by a strategy you weren't expecting and are upset about that, which is a completely reasonable way to feel. However, that doesn't mean that there's something wrong with that strategy or that it should be immediately nerfed. That happens in CCGs. You can't prepare for everything and sometimes you get a bad matchup.
Last edited by jadziadax8 on Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
well yeah im upset that i lost to a strategy that can only catch new(er) players, because something solves the issue and i didnt know that. the fact there is a card for this tells me it is a problem though. Interaction is already a unfair strategy to most decks. Dodging battle makes it just worse and reminds me of Ceti Eel.

this is unrelated to the discard term though.
Last edited by Ensign Q on Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
Wow.

I really have no words.

Not only has my deck been outed IN THE MIDDLE OF A HIGH LEVEL TOURNAMENT, but now y'all know how to beat it.

Thanks

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Why don't you just try 2E? I think it suits you more.

Rands about decks during a running tournament are unsportsmanlike. But I think you have been told that last time.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Caretaker's Guest wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:29 am Why don't you just try 2E? I think it suits you more.

Rands about decks during a running tournament are unsportsmanlike. But I think you have been told that last time.
Wow, that escalated quickly. I mean, I agree, it was unsportsmanlike but surely the punishment should fit the offense -- and condemning someone to 2E, that's just harsh man ;)

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
sexecutioner wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:18 am Wow.

I really have no words.

Not only has my deck been outed IN THE MIDDLE OF A HIGH LEVEL TOURNAMENT, but now y'all know how to beat it.

Thanks
you outed yourself. nowhere did i mention you or your deck in this topic related to crell. also jadzia offered a(nother) solution,
if its not allowed to ask questions or discuss cards during events, we need another solution than this subforum.
also im pretty sure most of the other players know their outs. if you only
participate to win against noobs, thats really nice!
why dont you stay away from the topic if you feel the risk of being outed?
Last edited by Ensign Q on Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Caretaker's Guest wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:29 am Why don't you just try 2E? I think it suits you more.

last time i ranted in the tournament topic. now my questions are completely unrelated to sexecutioner. i might have met crell in a friendly game elsewhere. unless you crawl through running tournaments and the pairings, its unknown. even then..
sexec runs tons of fringe strategy decks..
how is people driving away from 1e sportsmanlike?

this could be a better community if it wasnt so cutthroat competitive...

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
I haven't met a single player, even beginner, who did not enjoy games with Niall. You are the one and only, I'm afraid.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Apologies, Niall. I have edited my post.
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
To be fair, your result with Niall and this thread were posted within about 30 mins of each other. It doesn’t take a genius to work it out...

By 9of24 (Jeremy Huth)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Ensign Q wrote:

last time i ranted in the tournament topic. now my questions are completely unrelated to sexecutioner. i might have met crell in a friendly game elsewhere. unless you crawl through running tournaments and the pairings, its unknown. even then..
sexec runs tons of fringe strategy decks..
how is people driving away from 1e sportsmanlike?

this could be a better community if it wasnt so cutthroat competitive...
In the future, if you have a ruling question for an ongoing event, please privately message the Tournament Director. That is the person who has final say on any rules interaction in that tournament. That is the most appropriate way to handle things. After the event is over, if you are concerned the answer you get from the TD is incorrect or simply want a better understanding of the interaction, then ask on the forums or message the current Rules Master.

I realize that due to the nature of online games the TD may not be available to answer questions during the game and that can be frustrating. You can check with them ahead of your games to see if they would be available during your scheduled time to pay more attention to their messages to hopefully answer questions more quickly.

I think it is a fair criticism that there is some rules knowledge that a large majority of the player base just expects everyone knows. But there is also an opportunity for every player to learn a new rule or card interaction during a game. That level of complexity is part of the appeal of the game to me. That does mean that more experienced players are going to have an edge over less experienced player, but that is the case for any game with strategy elements. The only way to overcome that experience gap is to keep asking questions, reading and rereading the rules, and most importantly, play more games.

Regarding the competitive comment, I don't know what level events you have been playing in, and please don't call out any active events, but Worlds series events (Regionals, Nationals, Continentals, and Worlds) and Master series events are usually the types of events when players are bringing out their top decks with the aim to win the title or to see how their deck stacks up against those top decks. Sometimes those top decks do something completely new to catch their opponents off guard. I can understand that is not going to appeal to everyone.

I have enjoyed our past conversations on discord. You helped me see the game I love in a new way. In those conversations though, I don't think I ever asked, what brought you to 1E? What about the game appealed to you to want to mount the epic task of learning a game with an 80 page glossary of exceptions? What about the game has kept you playing despite the flaws? I do want this game to grow, but I also recognize that it isn't something that everyone, or even most people, will enjoy.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
my main appeal of 1e is the low amount of randomness the game offers. its more like chess than any other cardgame. And I hate randomness. If id been into that Id play dicegames. Im also a fan of TNG era Trek obviously and learned the basics back then in 95, so I always was curious to learn the modern game. I also own a pretty decent full set collection.
Players and myself must remember where im coming from though, I played MtG on a competitve level for about 20yrs and while I always criticized Wotc for a lot of decisions which ultimately made me leave mtg, I never got such rules headaches I get in 1e. I dont want to turn 1e into mtg and have to accept that rules can be different, but in order to catch a few new players from other cardgames (mainly mtg) Id say is a good thing if terms and gamelogic share basic principles (e.g. discarding refers to (targets) hand), also effect resolution timings aka stack.

When it comes to competitive its not just high level events, but the general approach of the community. For example scouting and debating tactics was never an issue in mtg events, no matter the level. Decks are chosen and ultimately it boils down to that.
Persons that say im unsportsmanlike called out my tacticts on the forums after a testmatch! the last time i played (even asked the TD to ban it) and made me leave the game for 6+month..
Sexec spamed me on discord how great and fun our match will be, just to softlock me turn 3. I assume to get any information about my deck..
A lot of players i met try to get any edge in a running or upcoming event, even in friendly testmatches. Thats just sad and doesnt really help the game grow better.

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
KazonPADD wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:28 pm
Let's bear in mind that I have lost 2 of my 3 games so far in this event.

Seppel figured out my strategy by the end of the seed phase, even correctly guessed multiple cards which would be in my deck.

Though he smoked me 100-0, I got off several cutting remarks actions which no doubt did serious damage to his ego.

:D
1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation