By Ausgang (Gerald Sieber)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
My question refers to cards being suspended and their exact status. For example, Frank Hollander suspends Holoprogram: Deadwood. What exactly does that mean? Is the whole card considered not in play or is it only in play for uniqueness purposes? Is it in play, but cannot be used? Does it only blank the game text? Can the suspended card be affected somehow?

Clarification much obliged! :D

I was actually surprised that there isn't glossary entry about this matter. Due to being open to ambivalent interpretation, I think that should be fixed :)

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Ausgang wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:19 am My question refers to cards being suspended and their exact status. For example, Frank Hollander suspends Holoprogram: Deadwood. What exactly does that mean? Is the whole card considered not in play or is it only in play for uniqueness purposes? Is it in play, but cannot be used? Does it only blank the game text? Can the suspended card be affected somehow?

Clarification much obliged! :D

I was actually surprised that there isn't glossary entry about this matter. Due to being open to ambivalent interpretation, I think that should be fixed :)
I don't have an answer and I am skeptical that there is an official rules answer.

I did notice there are 4 personnel like this:

[Fed] Katherine Pulaski
[...] • Suspends effects of Doppelganger where present.

[Fed] Sakkath
[...] • Suspends Bendii Syndrome where present.

[Fed] Sonya Gomez
[...] • Suspends Anti-Matter Pod where present.

[Non] Frank Hollander
[...] • Holoprogram: Deadwood here is suspended.

Each affects a different card type. 3 of them are effective "where present" and the other is effective "here".

3 of them suspend a card by title, one only suspends the "effects" of a named card.

I think we should treat this use of suspended differently than uses on other card types which are mainly referring to suspending play, and differently from how suspend(in many forms) is used in the glossary(ie many different ways).

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
I always read it as blanking the suspended card. If it ever gets not-suspended, it's no longer blank and its game text kicks in.

That's probably way too common-sense for 1e though. :wink:
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
Armus wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:20 pm I always read it as blanking the suspended card. If it ever gets not-suspended, it's no longer blank and its game text kicks in.

Yeah, that's equivalent to my own thought which is "this card does nothing".

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
JeBuS wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:21 pm
Armus wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:20 pm I always read it as blanking the suspended card. If it ever gets not-suspended, it's no longer blank and its game text kicks in.

We could use the term stasis instead, and Katherine can prevent the effects instead of suspending them.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
geraldkw wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:28 pm
JeBuS wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:21 pm

We could use the term stasis instead, and Katherine can prevent the effects instead of suspending them.
Yeah but stasis has its own definition that I'm not sure translates very well to verbs.

The better answer is probably to better codify the term 'suspend' and make it clearer in the rules.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
I've always thought of it as like nullified, except you don't discard the card.

Nullified = permanently off until replayed.
Suspended = off, but still in play, and off while the effect suspending it is ongoing.

It should be codified and standardized though, I agree with that.

-crp
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Also realistically should have a different verb, since we already have "suspends play", and This is Not That. (Same reason we don't beam cards into our hand.)
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
I did a search for the term suspend. The first incidence I could find for it that isn't followed by "play" (and refers to suspending the card) is on Manheim's Dimensional Door in Q-Continuum. So, I guess a perusal of that rules supplement might shine some light on the term?

For reference, the first use of the term "suspend" generally is Countermanda, but that's more of a suspend play action.

Edited to add: I just found this in the Rules Supplement:
Manheim's Dimensional Door
Simple Example: Suppose this doorway is already in play. Your opponent plays Kevin Uxbridge to nullify your Q-Net. You immediately show a Kevin Uxbridge from your hand. The result is that your opponent's card experiences a temporal "hiccup" and play is suspended. You replace Kevin Uxbridge in your hand and play another card, perhaps Major Rakal at your outpost. The opponent's card play now resumes and nullifies your Q-Net.

More Complex Example: Assume the situation above, but instead of playing Major Rakal you play Rishon Uxbridge on your Q- Net. When your opponent's card play resumes, instead of nullifying the Q-Net as was originally intended, it nullifies Rishon Uxbridge.
It looks like this card intends to suspend play.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
Yeah, too bad. Does anyone know off the top of their head what the first card is that uses suspend like Hollander? I was trying to finish up some actual work, so didn’t have time to research closer.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:27 pm Yeah, too bad. Does anyone know off the top of their head what the first card is that uses suspend like Hollander? I was trying to finish up some actual work, so didn’t have time to research closer.
Isn't it Katherine Pulaski re: Doppelganger?

Also, is it just me or is Doppelganger a proto-nemesis icon?
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
If I was in the mood to be pedantic I would ask using these cards to literally suspend the others in the air was required
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:27 pm Yeah, too bad. Does anyone know off the top of their head what the first card is that uses suspend like Hollander? I was trying to finish up some actual work, so didn’t have time to research closer.
It's Q Continuum. Pulaski, Sakaath, and Sonja Gomez all suspend various cards, plus Manheim's thang.
Online CM RELEASE TOURNAMENT

Congrats to Mugato for going 4-0 in the tournament[…]

Jared Hoffman FW Mathew McCalpin 100-12

Card of the Day: Dumb Waiter

Does Dumb Waiter still work if you don't comma[…]

I just booked my flight for Thursday afternoon arr[…]