Achievement Master
By SirRogue
 - Achievement Master
 -  
Can newly-arrived personnel with infiltration icons begin infiltrating and join an opponent's away team mid-attempt? For example, opponent's [Fed] away team attempts a planet mission and encounters Assassination Attempt. I download Founder Agitator as part of the dilemma. After that dilemma resolves and before the attempt continues, I have a personnel with a matching infiltration icon present. Can I have the Agitator jump in the attempt before encountering the next dilemma?

I can't find anything that specifically says I can't, but I know timing is wibbledy wobbledy during mission attempts. Closest thing I see in the glossary is
It may report for duty normally, and infiltrate later in the game, during either player's turn, if present with an opponent's crew or Away Team which it will be compatible with when infiltrating.
And:
Whenever any of the opponent's personnel present take any action (e.g., beam, attempt a mission, initiate a personnel battle), your infiltrator may choose whether or not to participate (or to contribute to ship staffing requirements). They may also move independently, during your opponent's turn, by beaming, walking, etc.
Again, nothing specifically says if I can or can't, so I'm hedging toward can't, bu t since other cards that download personnel allow them to jump into the attempt, I thought perhaps this might work. Or at least it's worth asking. :)

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I'd hazard that Infiltration is something you normally start as an action, and thus cannot do it during another action (mission attempt) unless explicitly allowed to by card or rule text. And since the aims of Assassination are to just have the characteristic there, I believe there is no intention for your card to be able to perform any "suspend game"-like action...

Except, of course, using the actual [DL] on your specific assassin -- the Plot. That [1E-Evt] would then resolve during "suspencion", and you get to have more/different choice in whom you get to 'mark' during opponent's attempt. (But your Agitator goes back into hand.)

I'm interested to hear more about this from others, though.

(Also, in this light I'd interpret
Whenever any of the opponent's personnel present take any action
as, "Whenever any of the opponent's personnel present start any action", to signify that you can't interrupt or "join" an action in progress... but indeed, that's not what's currently written.)
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
pfti wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:43 am If downloaded, it is reporting, so I would assume it can always report as an infiltrator.
:thumbsup:
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
So the trick Jon and Allen are describing is spelled out like this:

You can't download the infiltrator to the planet on his lonesome, do the kill, and then have him join the attempting away team -- because joining the attempt is an action.

You can download the infiltrator directly into the Away Team that's doing the attempt, as an infiltrator, do the kill, and then just continue to the next dilemma, because he's already in the Away Team and thus the attempt. This is because, as the Rulebook says:
Such cards may join the opponent's side in one of two ways: by reporting to your opponent's compatible facility, ship, or Away Team as if one of your opponent's cards (you may ignore quadrant restrictions), or by joining an opponent's compatible crew or Away Team where present (even during your opponent's turn).
The Glossary is a little more ambiguous about how these reporting methods work (you could read the Glossary as saying that an infiltrator can't report as an infiltrator unless reporting to a facility), but I think it's fair to chalk that up as bad drafting which should probably get revised.
Achievement Master
By SirRogue
 - Achievement Master
 -  
Fantastic, so, in the given example, I could download the infiltrator into the opponent's away team, then when they get to the requirements, "no assassin present" as an out is blocked because there IS an assassin present, even though it happens to be "their" assassin. And the infiltrator is in for the attempt. Great!

Thanks!
BCSWowbagger wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:25 pm So the trick Jon and Allen are describing is spelled out like this:

You can't download the infiltrator to the planet on his lonesome, do the kill, and then have him join the attempting away team -- because joining the attempt is an action.

You can download the infiltrator directly into the Away Team that's doing the attempt, as an infiltrator, do the kill, and then just continue to the next dilemma, because he's already in the Away Team and thus the attempt. This is because, as the Rulebook says:
Such cards may join the opponent's side in one of two ways: by reporting to your opponent's compatible facility, ship, or Away Team as if one of your opponent's cards (you may ignore quadrant restrictions), or by joining an opponent's compatible crew or Away Team where present (even during your opponent's turn).
The Glossary is a little more ambiguous about how these reporting methods work (you could read the Glossary as saying that an infiltrator can't report as an infiltrator unless reporting to a facility), but I think it's fair to chalk that up as bad drafting which should probably get revised.
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
Huh, I never noticed this interaction on Assassination Attempt before, but it looks like, if you encounter it, and fail the requirements, but opponent refuses to download an assassin... any assassin in your team will carry out the assassination anyway, potentially even assassinating himself. Can't trust those assassins!

Beautiful.
Achievement Master
By SirRogue
 - Achievement Master
 -  
Hahaha, been immersed in [1E-DS9] of late, and it makes me want to learn how to play aspects of [Dom] I've never tried in 1E before! :shifty:
Armus wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:40 pm This whole thread is making me suspicious that strange things are afoot at the Circle K Rogue's house

:shifty:
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
SirRogue wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:06 pm Hahaha, been immersed in [1E-DS9] of late, and it makes me want to learn how to play aspects of [Dom] I've never tried in 1E before! :shifty:
Armus wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:40 pm This whole thread is making me suspicious that strange things are afoot at the Circle K Rogue's house

:shifty:
I am not sure what is happening, but this is what 1E is all about.

(
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation