By tomek
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Can personnel who are both compatible with a HQ but incompatible with each other exist in the same HQ?

Here's a scenario...
Jadzia Dax and Captain Dax are at Terran Rebellion HQ getting card draws for Study Divergent History.
Emblem of the Empire is in play.

Can Mr. Quark report to or enter Terran Rebellion HQ while Jadzia Dax is at the HQ?

Thanks

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
tomek wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:36 am Can personnel who are both compatible with a HQ but incompatible with each other exist in the same HQ?

Here's a scenario...
Jadzia Dax and Captain Dax are at Terran Rebellion HQ getting card draws for Study Divergent History.
Emblem of the Empire is in play.

Can Mr. Quark report to or enter Terran Rebellion HQ while Jadzia Dax is at the HQ?

Thanks
I am gonna say no. You cannot voluntarily create a second awayteam aboard a facility. But I don't have a link to the gloss right now to quote the relevant rule...

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Found it... last paragraph of House Arrest.
You may never voluntarily place your personnel in a house arrest situation. You may not report a [Kli] Klingon to a [Rom] Romulan Outpost without a treaty, nor to a Neutral Outpost where you have [Rom] Romulans present, without a treaty in place. You may not beam your [Rom] Romulan personnel aboard a [Kli] Klingon ship, stop your [Kli] Klingons and [Rom] Romulans at the same site, or switch the Sisters of Duras's affiliation to [Kli] while they are aboard a [Rom] ship.

By tomek
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
winterflames wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:51 am Found it... last paragraph of House Arrest.
You may never voluntarily place your personnel in a house arrest situation. You may not report a [Kli] Klingon to a [Rom] Romulan Outpost without a treaty, nor to a Neutral Outpost where you have [Rom] Romulans present, without a treaty in place. You may not beam your [Rom] Romulan personnel aboard a [Kli] Klingon ship, stop your [Kli] Klingons and [Rom] Romulans at the same site, or switch the Sisters of Duras's affiliation to [Kli] while they are aboard a [Rom] ship.
The quote you reference deals with outposts, not headquarters.

Headquarters are different from outposts in that both players can report to and enter the same headquarters. So that is part of my question. Do the same outpost and ship related 'house arrest' rules also apply to headquarters which are shared by both players.

A related scenario would be...
I use Crossover: An Invitation to report my Jadzia Dax to my opponent's Terran Rebellion HQ.
Can my opponent report his Mr. Quark to his Terran Rebellion HQ if I get Jadzia Dax there first?

I think the answer is that outposts and ships are different from headquarters, so outpost 'house arrest' rules don't apply to headquarters.
But I can't find anything in the rules or glossary to either confirm or contradict my opinion.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
The only difference between outpost and hq is control. Compatibility still has to be maintained. You may not voluntarily create a house arrest situation, but your away team on an hq and opponent's away team are not the same and don't effect each other's Compatibility.

Opponent's Klingon away team can't enter a fed facility unless a card says otherwise.

By tomek
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
winterflames wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:30 pm Opponent's Klingon away team can't enter a fed facility unless a card says otherwise.
Correct...

But in the case of factions...
Jadzia Dax CAN report and enter a Terran Rebellion HQ (with Crossover: An Invitation) because she matches the headquarter's affiliation (Fed)
Mr. Quark CAN report and enter a Terran Rebellion HQ (with Emblem of the Empire) because he belongs to the Empire faction and Terran Rebellion HQ also belongs to the Empire faction.
So both Jadzia Dax (Fed) and Mr. Quark (Empire) are compatible with the Terran Rebellion HQ even though they are not compatible with each other.

Also in investigating 'house arrest', the examples of house arrest I could find are related to 'crew' aboard a ship or an outpost (space facility).
Personnel aboard an HQ are not 'crew' they are an 'away team'.

So I keep coming back to the same issue....
Do 'house arrest' rules that apply to 'crew' aboard a ship or outpost also apply to 'away teams' aboard a headquarters?

So far I have seen nothing in the rules or glossary to indicate that 'house arrest' rules apply to away teams aboard an HQ.
But I may be missing something, which is why I am asking...

Thanks

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Your personnel aboard an HQ are always a single Away Team, so no, you cannot have two incompatible personnel aboard even if they are both compatible with the facility.

Relevant quotes:

"Away Team and crew"
Your compatible personnel aboard one ship or facility, at one site, or on one planet surface (outside a facility or landed ship) must form a single Away Team or crew.
"compatible"
If a card allowing compatibility is nullified or destroyed, incompatible personnel aboard a ship or facility are placed under house arrest. If a mixed Away Team is on a planet, the incompatible personnel form a separate Away Team and cannot return to the ship. The text does not work with means the cards are incompatible.
so you are not given the choice of having multiple away teams aboard a facility (HQ or otherwise) and if you do have incompatible people aboard, that is a house arrest situation.

If you have Jadzia Dax there and your opponent wants to report someone she is incompatible with, that is fine......... incompatibility never matters for opponent's cards...

"House arrest"
You place under house arrest only cards you control - never your opponent's intruders, captives, etc.

By tomek
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Takket wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:43 am Your personnel aboard an HQ are always a single Away Team, so no, you cannot have two incompatible personnel aboard even if they are both compatible with the facility.

Relevant quotes:

"Away Team and crew"
Your compatible personnel aboard one ship or facility, at one site, or on one planet surface (outside a facility or landed ship) must form a single Away Team or crew.
"compatible"
If a card allowing compatibility is nullified or destroyed, incompatible personnel aboard a ship or facility are placed under house arrest. If a mixed Away Team is on a planet, the incompatible personnel form a separate Away Team and cannot return to the ship. The text does not work with means the cards are incompatible.
so you are not given the choice of having multiple away teams aboard a facility (HQ or otherwise) and if you do have incompatible people aboard, that is a house arrest situation.

If you have Jadzia Dax there and your opponent wants to report someone she is incompatible with, that is fine......... incompatibility never matters for opponent's cards...

"House arrest"
You place under house arrest only cards you control - never your opponent's intruders, captives, etc.
Excellent explanation... thanks!
(And thanks to winterflames too)

One last follow up question for this particular tangent I'm on.
Do two people have to be inside a headquarters to draw cards for Study Divergent History?
Or can they draw cards if they are present with the HQ outside the HQ on the surface of the planet?

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
I know this one!

In "Here and Present" it says:
Sites and Facilities Mean Themselves
If a site or facility says "here", it means present with that site or facility. Cargo Bay can only download personnel to the Cargo Bay site, not anywhere else at the same spaceline location. Cards that play on sites and facilities follow the same restriction: Process Ore requires unopposed OFFICER or ENGINEER at Ore Processing Unit, not just at the spaceline location.

By tomek
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
winterflames wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:40 pm I know this one!

In "Here and Present" it says:
Sites and Facilities Mean Themselves
If a site or facility says "here", it means present with that site or facility. Cargo Bay can only download personnel to the Cargo Bay site, not anywhere else at the same spaceline location. Cards that play on sites and facilities follow the same restriction: Process Ore requires unopposed OFFICER or ENGINEER at Ore Processing Unit, not just at the spaceline location.
Thanks winterflames...

Still mulling this one over...
I hope you and everyone here had as Merry a Christmas as possible under the circumstances.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
I would just use Julian in the mirror if I were going to leave someone at the hq for draws until I needed them. His having the icons means he doesn't mess with my compatibility.

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
patrick wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:39 am I'm confused... Study Divergent History doesn't say "here", so that rule is not relevant, is it?

The answer is in the same rules update, though:
Rules Update, December 2020
you're "present" with a ship or facility or planet's surface that you are on, and with cards played on them.
Study Divergent History says "present", they have to both be inside the facility (or both be outside) or they aren't present with each other. But if they end up forming separate away teams on the planet because they aren't compatible with each other, they aren't "present" with each other.

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]

Is Sedis a captain?

Not exactly, because that is the ONLY keywor[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I'll not make the 27th, unfortunately. I've pencil[…]

I get the MW 80-70....good game.