By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Plays on table. Target an unsolved non-homeworld planet mission with no [BO] objective on it. Your [TNG] Borg may scout that planet. After scouting complete, if your staffed [TNG] Borg cube there, Objective complete: Place on mission; your Archaeology present may acquire any artifacts here. Your [TNG] [Com] drones gain non-Intelligence skills in mission requirements (at their highest level).

does the drone have to be on the planet or just at the location (ship)?

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
I am pretty sure they must be present with the artifact which means they have to be in the AT on the planet.

The Language construct here is the subject (drone) must be present with the object (artifact). Since the mission has to be planet according to the objective, the artifact must therefore have to be on the planet thus the drone has to be in the AT.

If it had said Target an unsolved mission with no [BO] objective on it. then if the mission was [1E-S] and then your drone on ship could claim the Cryosatellite and any goodies inside.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Ensign Q wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:51 pm Place on mission; your Archaeology present may acquire any artifacts here. Your [TNG] [SCC] drones gain non-Intelligence skills in mission requirements (at their highest level).

does the drone have to be on the planet or just at the location (ship)?
The coloured words are defined by rules, and that's how you solve this:

present
-- says that the Archaeology drone (or other personnel) must be at the very same spot as the artifact (on a ship is the artifact was drifting at a space mission; on the surface if the artifact was buried at a planet mission.

here
-- means the artifact could be at any place at that location (so, anywhere vertically oriented to the mission location).

Usually, there are limited options for that in this case, since it's an artifact; unearned artifacts can only be in space or planetside.

However -- and this is what I'm not sure about: depending on whether/how the word 'acquire' is (also) defined, it COULD perhaps ALSO mean that your drone may hop over to wherever opponent has an artifact at that mission (coincidentally...), ans steal that artifact.

But that's a niche case and prolly not what you meant.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Ah. Cross-post. Actually, Both Keii and I were largely right in what we wrote. My explanations of the words are still correct (and I'm very sure of what Keii's pretty sure about). The resulting answer to your question is the same.

However, the Master took into account that the objective can only go on a planet mission... so you'll never be able to earn any spaceborne artifact there... and that's why he's more right than I was. :lol: :thumbsup:

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
but is the "present" the artifact ? or the objective? and why use "here" then?

also if so, does the objective allow to beam down archaeology drones, after the obj is completed?

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
The confusion comes from the word Present. Clearly the Arch must be present, but present with what? That's how Present in 1e works; to be present 2 or more things are required.

It is my assertion that the Arch must be present with the Artifact, ergo, as stated before the Arch must be present in the AT at the time the Artifact is uncovered. There is no way to send an Arch down later, since the only way to beam [Bor] down is during a Scouting attempt. Since the objective is already completed, you would need another objective in order to get the Arch down.

Since [1E-TNG] [Bor] don't have access to Sixteen of Nineteen, and this is a [1E-TNG] [BO] Objective, it stands to reason that you are not supposed to need another objective to be able to acquire the artifact.

That said, once again it becomes apparent that the intention is that you must have the Arch in the AT at the time the Objective is completed and the Artifact uncovered in order to acquire it; if you do not, then you miss out on the acquiring.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
My first-blush, just-passing-through-while-my-code-compiles read is that the the Arch drone must be present with the objective -- which has been placed on the mission at this point.

Comes to the same thing, though. Drone gotta be on the planet to be present with either the artifact or the objective.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Ensign Q wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:54 pm ok, but the obj is not on the planet itself
It is by the time you get to the part about acquiring the artifacts...
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
Armus wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:12 pm
Ensign Q wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:54 pm ok, but the obj is not on the planet itself
It is by the time you get to the part about acquiring the artifacts...
I think Ensign Q’s issue there is the fine distinction between the objective being placed on the mission and placed on the planet.

I can say as a Designer on Q Who that the intention was for it to be an Archaeology on the planet.
Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]

1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]