Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
Glossary - dilemma resolution - Multisection Dilemmas wrote:Some dilemmas have more than one section, each with independent triggers, targets, and/or conditions. (Nullifiers and cures always apply to the entire dilemma.)

By 9of24 (Jeremy Huth)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Answering the questions that were asked first assuming Team of Ambassadors is played normally*, but will expand afterwards:
Takket wrote:Can I still play this interrupt to nullify the dilemma even if my opponent has already killed someone with the dilemma?
Yes, but only if you fail to meet the requirements and encounter the dilemma again later.
Takket wrote:If I do... does the person that was killed "come back to life" from my discard pile and rejoin the attempt?
No. Nullifying the dilemma on a separate encounter would not return any personnel it killed on previous encounters.

So the timing goes like this:

Reveal Misinterpret History
MH encounter initiation step: kill target chosen. (note: nobody is killed now)
MH encounter response step: either player may make valid responses now, this is when Team of Ambassadors could normally* be played to nullify the dilemma.
MH encounter results step: target is killed, and if requirements are met dilemma is discarded or if requirements are not met dilemma is reseeded.

* It occurred to me that Soval has a special download of Team of Ambassadors after writing this. You could use this download during the results step after the personnel is killed. In that case I would probably lean on the glossary passage that Jebus quoted and treat the dilemma as though it were nullified during the response step.
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
I did not read the original question as asking about multiple encounters, but simply a single encounter. @Takket which did you mean?

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
i think he means the personnel is killed, then he fails to pass and wants to nullify.
that shouldnt work i guess.
i think you have to nullify when you encounter, before a target is chosen.
9o24 is the expert here, but i think its

1. dilemma encountered/revealed
2. valid responses / nullifies
3. dilemma resolution /pick target
4. pass or fail skillcheck

only SD can probably nullify at any step and "revive" the personnel.

By 9of24 (Jeremy Huth)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Ensign Q wrote:1. dilemma encountered/revealed
Close, the target is actually picked before the dilemma is considered encountered. They aren't killed until step 3, and the skill check is also part of dilemma resolution.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
9of24 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:19 pm
Close, the target is actually picked before the dilemma is considered encountered. They aren't killed until step 3, and the skill check is also part of dilemma resolution.
the target is actually picked before the dilemma is considered encountered
read that again and dwell a second about it

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
JeBuS wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:54 am I did not read the original question as asking about multiple encounters, but simply a single encounter. @Takket which did you mean?
single.

specifically i was wondering....... I reveal the dilemma. I have ToA in my hand but i know unless you kill my only Law, i'm going to pass it. well you are smart and realize i need the Law to get by it, so you kill my Law. put my Law person in the discard pile and check the conditions of the dilemma one more time. Nope, I can't get past it. Okay, I'm playing ToA now.

What happens to Law person who was killed?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Takket wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:10 pm
JeBuS wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:54 am I did not read the original question as asking about multiple encounters, but simply a single encounter. @Takket which did you mean?
single.

specifically i was wondering....... I reveal the dilemma. I have ToA in my hand but i know unless you kill my only Law, i'm going to pass it. well you are smart and realize i need the Law to get by it, so you kill my Law. put my Law person in the discard pile and check the conditions of the dilemma one more time. Nope, I can't get past it. Okay, I'm playing ToA now.

The short answer is your opponent selects the law person, you nullify the dilemma with ToA, nobody dies.

By 9of24 (Jeremy Huth)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote:
Takket wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:10 pm
single.

The short answer is your opponent selects the law person, you nullify the dilemma with ToA, nobody dies.
:thumbsup:
Ensign Q wrote:
9of24 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:19 pm
the target is actually picked before the dilemma is considered encountered
read that again and dwell a second about it
It really isn't that odd. Encountering a dilemma is roughly the same idea as playing an Interrupt. Consider Transwarp Conduit as an example.

If you want to play Transwarp Conduit you reveal it from your hand, then the Initiation step begins, at this point you would have to target a ship there are no other costs or conditions to pay or meet so initiation completes and Transwarp Conduit is now considered played. The Response step then begins, and each player has the opportunity to respond to the play of Transwarp Conduit, for this example assume no response is made and we move to the Results step. This is when the targeted ship has its RANGE doubled.

The dilemma encounter with Misinterpreted History works the same way. It is revealed, then Initiation begins and the target is selected, once the Initiation completes the dilemma is considered to be encountered. Then the Response step occurs where each player may respond to the dilemma and this is the point when Team of Ambassadors would be played to nullify the dilemma. If the dilemma is not nullified though, it would move to the Results step where the targeted personnel would be killed and requirements would be checked to determine if the dilemma is overcome and discarded or reseeded beneath the mission.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Ensign Q wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:25 am that line of play makes The Squire's Rules a nightmare. as the stopped and selected personnel now can be the same
Not quite, because Squire happens at the very very start of the encounter, after the dilemma is revealed but before the encounter initiates:
Glossary: Dilemmas revealed and encountered wrote:Some cards, such as Mission Fatigue and Cyrus Redblock, add a sub-action to dilemmas, randomly selecting a personnel to be "stopped" or killed before the dilemma's own game text is resolved. This sub-action occurs just after the dilemma is revealed, unless the card is a mis-seed, before the dilemma encounter's initiation step.
That makes it one of a very small number of things that doesn't work like what 9of24 just described.

So breathe easy about Squire! It works the way you think it does. (And it has a Glossary entry saying as much.)

And 9of24 has ably explained how dilemma encounters themselves work, so I won't recover that ground.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
The first encountered copy of each [S/P] dilemma
glossary
After a dilemma is revealed, the dilemma encounter proceeds: targets are chosen and conditions are checked. The initiation of the encounter is complete (i.e. the seed card has been "just encountered"
squire does not say it adds a subaction

but whatevs. it works because it works i guess
Is Sedis a captain?

He's already a [Univ] fucking skill hoss (tm)... […]

I don't! Game ain't fun, IMO! But, you're rig[…]

Alpha Argratha

If I have Alpha 5 Approach plus Argratha as […]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]