By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Do I need an AU type Door in play to be able to use Holodeck Door to DL Prot?

I know the Holo Door doesn't provide a reporting location so he would still need to be able to report to a quadrant allowed location, say a Federation Outpost, but does the Holo Door essentially allow me to ignore his [1E-AU] icon when reporting or do I need some form of [1E-AU] doorway?

By Mr.Sloan
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
you need something that allows to report/play (which a downloaded prot still does). AU Door, STP, TMW, etc.

The only place where you need no AU door is when reporting people to their native time location. Prot has none.

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
You'd need an AU door of some sort to play him.

But....

If you get Sigmund Freud, I believe you don't need an AU door to play AU cards to him? (hopefully someone can clarify)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
sexecutioner wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:22 pm You'd need an AU door of some sort to play him.

But....

If you get Sigmund Freud, I believe you don't need an AU door to play AU cards to him? (hopefully someone can clarify)
Correct with Sigmund, you don't need an AU Door to report [1E-AU] to him......
but Sigmund [DL] Alternate Universe Door anyway, so the gain in my case would be minimal. I guess I could Holo Door play Sigmund so I could next turn holo door Prot. I can then save a seed slot by [DL] the door, but right now Prot is my only [1E-AU] so we'll see if it pans out.

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
Strangely enough, I looked at Freud for a future deck, and looked at his [DL]

Alternate Universe Door cannot play for its first function, it can only seed....

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
sexecutioner wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:30 pm Strangely enough, I looked at Freud for a future deck, and looked at his [DL]

Alternate Universe Door cannot play for its first function, it can only seed....
Well then, nice catch. He basically is his own AU Door first function so the [DL] wouldn't even be necessary in my case.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
When he was made, Temporal Rift cheese was still a thing. It's an outmoded [DL] now but that was hardly always the case.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
Professor Scott wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:27 pm
sexecutioner wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:22 pm You'd need an AU door of some sort to play him.

But....

Correct with Sigmund, you don't need an AU Door to report [1E-AU] to him......
but Sigmund [DL] Alternate Universe Door anyway, so the gain in my case would be minimal. I guess I could Holo Door play Sigmund so I could next turn holo door Prot. I can then save a seed slot by [DL] the door, but right now Prot is my only [1E-AU] so we'll see if it pans out.
Odds are he was aiming to make for some shenaniganry with Protect the Timeline.

By stressedoutatumc (stressedoutatumc)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
sexecutioner wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:30 pm Strangely enough, I looked at Freud for a future deck, and looked at his [DL]

So, am I the only one who thinks its strange that the Alternate Universe Door doesn't actually say that it's seeds? I've always assumed that it is a seed card, but it just says to place one, not that it is a seed card itself.

Having said that, I'm sure that it is, but if it's not I'm going to be like 23 years mad.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
stressedoutatumc wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:49 pm

So, am I the only one who thinks its strange that the Alternate Universe Door doesn't actually say that it's seeds? I've always assumed that it is a seed card, but it just says to place one, not that it is a seed card itself.

Having said that, I'm sure that it is, but if it's not I'm going to be like 23 years mad.
By the nature of it being placed by it's own text during seed phase, (as opposed to downloaded by some other card during seed phase), it as a seed card and as such counts against your 30 seed cards limit.

That being said, at the time of its creation, there were only 2 doorways, Alternate Universe Door and Devidian Door and since DD plays during the game, there was no Doorway Phase yet. Had it been created later, Decipher should probably worded it to say: Seed during Doorway phase: Door is now open, allowing your [1E-AU] icon cards to enter play.....
Last edited by Professor Scott on Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Between that and its confusing "must seed for the first function; must play for the second" structure, AU Door is a pretty decent clarifying errata candidate.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:28 pm Between that and its confusing "must seed for the first function; must play for the second" structure, AU Door is a pretty decent clarifying errata candidate.
It's also a good candidate for a new version with the TOS logo.

Gonna be real hard to get the all-TOS achievement without it.
Card Page Glitches

So, it's seeming on some sets that the cards on th[…]

Question for noob

Awesome. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]