By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
community leader
Seeds on table. Once per game, at any time, you may download Quark's Bar and/or one Holosuite. Your Quark gains Leadership. Your Quark, Rom, and your [DS9][Fer] bartenders, dabo girls, and waiters may mix with your cards. All personnel may mix at Quark's Bar.

does that at any time include the seed phase?

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
why? its not a once per turn action and the game starts in the seed phase, no?

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
At any time. This phrase indicates that an action may be used during any phase of either player's turn

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
yeah, but it also says any phase. there is only seed phase and play phase
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Omarion Nebula Regional Champion 2024
Ensign Q wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:20 am yeah, but it also says any phase. there is only seed phase and play phase
OK, I think there's an issue as the modern rulebook no longer seems to specify that a turn consists of three phases: Play a turn phase, Execute Orders phase, and draw a card phase.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
KazonPADD wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:32 am
Ensign Q wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:20 am yeah, but it also says any phase. there is only seed phase and play phase
OK, I think there's an issue as the modern rulebook no longer seems to specify that a turn consists of three phases: Play a turn phase, Execute Orders phase, and draw a card phase.
Seems clear enough because it speaks of phases within a turn, so to me that explicitly excludes any seed phase.
But I've always remembered the 3 phases-of-a-turn that were mentioned, so that's easy for me to say.
Are those really not in the Rulebooknor Glossy? Well then; @Wowbagger to the blue courtesy phone, please.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
card could just say once per turn, since the bar is unique anyway and holoprograms should follow cumulative rules

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I always play this as soon as I play the card, I download the two sites. Otherwise, its taking up my draw deck or q's tent. If its not played this way, it should have been allowed to DL as soon as you play it.

/shrug
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
Ensign Q wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:34 am card could just say once per turn, since the bar is unique anyway and holoprograms should follow cumulative rules
There's a pretty big difference between "once per game" and "once per turn".
HoodieDM wrote:I always play this as soon as I play the card, I download the two sites. Otherwise, its taking up my draw deck or q's tent. If its not played this way, it should have been allowed to DL as soon as you play it.

/shrug
It's definitely a "during the turn" action, so downloading them when you seed the card is wrong.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
HoodieDM wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:08 am I always play this as soon as I play the card, I download the two sites. Otherwise, its taking up my draw deck or q's tent. If its not played this way, it should have been allowed to DL as soon as you play it.

/shrug
Ok well you're definitely playing it wrong then. It's worded the same as 1st Rule - that Nagus and GPL gotta come from your deck/tent, why would this be any different?
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
HoodieDM wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:08 am I always play this as soon as I play the card, I download the two sites. Otherwise, its taking up my draw deck or q's tent. If its not played this way, it should have been allowed to DL as soon as you play it.

/shrug
IIRC, it was specifically done this way in order to force you to take up space in your draw deck (as a balancing cost for getting some pretty powerful stuff for free/cheap)!

Anyway, on the main question:

Under Decipher's terminology, "phase" could mean any of three things:

* One of the game's basic modalities: "seed phase" vs "play phase"

* One of the seed phases: "facility phase" vs "dilemma phase" vs "mission phase" vs "doorway phase"

* One of the turn segments: "draw phase/segment" vs. "execute orders phase/segment" vs. "play phase/segment"

...and, yes, Decipher would use "play phase" to mean both "the part where the game happens" and "the part of a turn where you report cards." Decipher terminology had a few blind spots.

We've been slowly, quietly adjusting this for several years now, pushing rules documents to use "phase" when it means "phase" and "segment" when it means "segment," while converting "seed phase" to "seed phases" where appropriate. This is all part of the term-standardization cleanup that is one of the R.C.'s jobs.

The at any time entry still uses the old terminology. It looks like it even may be the last entry that does, which is awesome! But, from its context ("any phase of either player's turn"), it's very clear what it means. The entry will be switched to using the standard terminology ("segments") in due time, and, as I said, we've already been working on this for a while.

In the meantime, play it correctly: you can do this during any turn in the play phase, even in the play segment or the draw segment.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
the bigger drawback other than sites in your drawdeck is that u cant seed holosuite without the bar and you cant seed holoprograms without the suite, which makes the 1st half of leader completely useless sadly.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
If you only want to use this for a seeded holoprogram, yes I suppose you have a point.

But if you don't need the bar until you draw into Morn, a waiter, a Dabo girl, or quark or rom, then seeding this card and downloading the bar later works fine.

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Ensign Q wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:48 am the bigger drawback other than sites in your drawdeck is that u cant seed holosuite without the bar and you cant seed holoprograms without the suite, which makes the 1st half of leader completely useless sadly.
^^ This.

That's why I'll be taking it out of my Staging Ground Deck. I need Café to be seeded. Not having this card DL it during seed phase, makes it very not good IMO. Definitely hampers the DS9 Ferengi, when I originally thought this was giving them some boost. Sure the extra 4 Ferengi in the deck are nice, but they can all play with their other affiliation anyways. But for that specific deck, I'll be taking it out. Oh well...

Danny gets the FW against Tjark - 100 - 35 Good t[…]

Back from the old days, pre-errata Visit Cochrane[…]

@VictoryIsLife FW @jadziadax8 100-0

2024 1E Michigan Regional

If there's interest I can run & play 2E after.[…]