Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
1E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
pfti wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:27 pm Every event plays somewhere (re the glossary)
It may play on and affect another card, or may play on the table to have a widespread effect on various aspects of the game.
any even that has a localized effect plays on that location/ship/personal. Otherwise, it plays to table
The ambigous one here is cards that play to manipulate your hand or discard. Do they play "on" your hand
What you said is neither here nor there, for the purposes of this discussion. It's already been pointed out that a card can play either on the table or at a location. That glossary entry does nothing to further illuminate this discussion. This card does not say it plays at a location. This card has both a "local" effect (download something to a location [and it's debatable whether or not this is "local" as it affects your deck(s)]), and "global" effect (alter score). It does not play to "affect another card" in play.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
JeBuS wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:04 pm Should these cards score their points at a location? Why or why not?
"Should" they? That question is above my paygrade.

Do they? With the caveat that nothing in this post is blue or official... respectively: yes, yes, yes (actually three locations), yes, and yes, because, in each case, the action that resolves to points occurs at a location.

I mean, when you solve a mission, technically you solve the mission locally but score the points globally, but we say that the points are scored at that location because the action that resolves to points occurs at the mission.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
JeBuS wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:04 pm Should these cards score their points at a location? Why or why not?
Just my opinion but here goes.
Brace: the points are scored at the planet you land on. It has a specific effect at a specific location which results in the points.
Cowboy: the points are scored on the planet where your people are. It has a specific effect at a specific location which results in the points.
Decon: The points are scored from the table after certain conditions are met. It has no effect on anything on the spaceline.
Rebellious: You score the points at the facility you download to. It has a specific effect at a specific location which results in the points.
Secondary: you score the points at the location of the commandeered ship. It has a specific effect at a specific location which results in the points.

Gimme more. Those were fun and not terribly hard either.
Edit: I disagree with some apparently.
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
1E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
^These were just the first handful I pulled up from the card search. But you can see that it's way too easy to come to simple conclusions in both directions. Thanks to a glossary entry, we default to ruling that everything is "at a location", even though many cards which score points do not play to any location, but rather "to the table" with "side effects" at various locations.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
JeBuS wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:49 pm ^These were just the first handful I pulled up from the card search. But you can see that it's way too easy to come to simple conclusions in both directions.
Yes -- in both directions. It's an ambiguous issue that has to be ruled on, one way or the other. You can't simplify the rules by deleting it. (Maybe you can simplify the bookkeeping?)
Thanks to a glossary entry, we default to ruling that everything is "at a location",
It's not thanks to a Glossary entry. I'd never read the Recruit Mercenaries Glossary entry before this thread. (It's true, and, yes, shameful: I've not read every single card-specific ruling in the Glossary. I keep thinking that I have and then discovering another that I haven't.) But it's how I assumed R.M. worked as soon as I read the question.

If you erased the R.M. Glossary entry, I would still rule the same way on R.M. and on every other card you've mentioned. While I acknowledge that there are other interpretations of Altonian Brain Teaser out there, and that they are not meritless, I think my interpretation is the correct interpretation. (And I was pleased to discover that Decipher agreed with me. It doesn't always!)
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]

Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]

Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]