By patrick (Patrick Weijers)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I'm confused by this card.

Firestorm says "Kills all Away Team members with INTEGRITY<5 unless thermal deflectors present".

I didn't have Thermal Deflectors when I encountered it. Since it says "unless" I thought I would be stopped, but the Dilemma Resolution Guide says "mission continues" ?

The page says "Unnecessary text allowing Thermal Deflectors to nullify removed.", but it's still there?

By Mr.Sloan
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
those are very good questions.

Yes "Unless" (or "To get past") usually means its a condition and is usally at the start of the sentence. In this case its an effect "Kills...."
Its bad wording, since this card is from the very first set and rules developed alonge the line. Its confusing. I wonder what rule department does about it to clear it up.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Mr.Sloan wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:19 pm those are very good questions.

Yes "Unless" (or "To get past") usually means its a condition and is usally at the start of the sentence. In this case its an effect "Kills...."
Its bad wording, since this card is from the very first set and rules developed alonge the line. Its confusing. I wonder what rule department does about it to clear it up.
Sounds like a candidate for clarifying errata.

I'll ping @BCSWowbagger so he can add it to the list. :cheersL:

By Mr.Sloan
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
idealy every dilemma with "unless" would be clearifed if that word always stopps.

e.g.
https://www.trekcc.org/1e/index.php?mod ... ardID=2323

On the one hand it uses the word "unless" and then overrides it with the word "mission continues". An alternate option would be to rephrase it from:

Kills one Away Team member who has SECURITY or Leadership (random
selection) unless that personnel has CUNNING>8. Mission continues.

to:

Kills one Away Team member who has SECURITY or Leadership (random
selection) if that personnel has CUNNING<9. Mission continues. Discard Dilemma.

Cause it would be so much simpler to be able to tell everyone: Conditions ("Unless"/"To get past") always stopps everyone if they fail it.
And replace all "unless" that are not conditions with "if" like on Dejaren
https://www.trekcc.org/1e/index.php?mod ... cardID=940
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:25 pm
Mr.Sloan wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:19 pm those are very good questions.

Sounds like a candidate for clarifying errata.

I'll ping @BCSWowbagger so he can add it to the list. :cheersL:
:thumbsup:

By Mr.Sloan
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
since a lot of cards have an effect, then an "unless" and then a "mission continues" to override it, like
https://www.trekcc.org/1e/index.php?mod ... cardID=994

changing just firestorm would be less of an effort.
Then the general rule would be "To get past" or "unless" are conditions that always stopp, except when the dilemma says "mission continue" or is "nullifed"

glad i am not in charge of rule stuff anymore. but would love an easy to remember rule that works for all cards.
Question for noob

You can use Defend Homeworld instead of Quark[…]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]