- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Are cards from outside the game considered to be a side deck? Are Borg allowed to place a non-Borg personnel atop Benefactor?

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
:shock:
Caretaker's Guest wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:49 am Are cards from outside the game considered to be a side deck?
Per definition, no. ( [NA] Phoenix, [1E-Rom] Outposts.)
Are Borg allowed to place a non-Borg personnel atop Benefactor?
It stands to reason they can... which Temp Agents would they have? And do you even care? :shifty: :shock:

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Well...

A non-Borg Benefactor could possibly fool opponent.

And...

You can get Disrupted Continuum with the 22nd drones.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Caretaker's Guest wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:27 am Well...

A non-Borg Benefactor could possibly fool opponent.

And...

You can get Disrupted Continuum with the 22nd drones.
And any other "Temp Agent" related cards!
You may be on to something... :thumbsup:

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
The EFC Counterparts can benefit from their prime- universe equivalents as Benefactors.

Can be useful for upping the skill count of some hard to find skills.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
HoodieDM wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:13 am Just another reason this card should be banned...
Well, it does cost a seed slot. (Like AMS, and Def HW, which also essentially give extra skills. Of course, TB does a bit more.) And for Borg, it will affect only a precious few 'name(d) in lore' personnel.
(Perhaps have the Temp Benefactor personnel be seeded as well -- instead of coming from outside -- would up the cost enough. Not sure if that's necessary, myself; just thinking along with you, in how to mitigate its power IF it needs to be mitigated.)

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
HoodieDM wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:13 am Just another reason this card should be banned...
Nerf bat not enough? C'mon man...

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:51 am
Nerf bat not enough?
What do you mean with 'bat'? And what did you think of what I wrote -- in which things was I worng, and/or right?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
SudenKapala wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:54 am
Armus wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:51 am
Nerf bat not enough?
What do you mean with 'bat'? And what did you think of what I wrote -- in which things was I worng, and/or right?
The card got errata'd a couple years ago to become much less powerful than it was. That kind of errata is known as "getting hit with the Nerf bat" or "getting Nerfed"

And to be fair, the original version was VERY powerful, and I'm not even saying the errata was unjustified, but they hit both sides of the card. On the skill side, they changed "may use" to "gains". The former was strong when the personnel in play had the OPTION of using the skills... or not. Example. If you have a Leadership x2 personnel as your benefactor and you hit Personal Duty, the Benefactee (?) could choose to not use that Leadership, and thus not get stopped, then turn around and use that leadership to pass the Friendly Fire right behind it. Under the new version, that personnel just gains the Leadership and is eligible for the PD Random selection. They could still luck into getting through, but it's no longer a guaranteed thing.

On the bottom half of the card, you used to be able to download things like Timepod Ring and Temporal Agent cards directly into play. Now they go to hand, and you can only get one, so you can't deploy it the same turn you fetch it (unless it's Temporal Almanac, natch). Also, you have to put a [22] personnel under to get the download, which shut down the Launch Bay/Shuttle Pod 1 loop nonsense.

Today, I'd consider using it in a [22] -centric deck, as it's still really good, but it's no longer the almost universal auto-include it once was, and IMO the current version should be nowhere near the ban list.

:twocents:

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
@Armus: Ah, I see; it was alredy nerfed before.

I forgot the [22] Personnel part, so even a bit harder for the Borg to make use of. (But that's probably not the beef you have with the card, @HoodieDM, I'd reckon?)

Just 2 more questions (for now...):

What is...? [Down]
natch
And -- if you have spare time (because it's "not a thing no more", and thus I needn't know it), what is...? [Down]
Launch Bay/Shuttle Pod One loop nonsense
I played with Temp Benny in one deck, and loved the mechanic's RPG value. (But in my decks, it'd never be a risk of being OP of course.) I'd hate to see it go, just for that reason.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Also...
Armus wrote:The EFC Counterparts can benefit from their prime- universe equivalents as Benefactors.

Can be useful for upping the skill count of some hard to find skills.
Is this not a very elaborate -- and cool! I grant you :lol: -- way of doing the same things as the Icheb drone? No, it isn't, I see now. Second does it for drones; Temp Benny does it for a specific counterpart.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
SudenKapala wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:43 pm And -- if you have spare time (because it's "not a thing no more", and thus I needn't know it), what is...? [Down]
Launch Bay/Shuttle Pod One loop nonsense
People would play decks with no [22] cards or temporal stuff at all -- except for a seeded Launch Bay and one [22] Shuttlepod in the deck. You'd download the Shuttlepod to hand in place of a card draw, then use it with Benefactor to get a Timepod Ring (or one of the other temporal cards), which downloaded directly to the table.

It was pretty gross. If I'm not mistaken, you can still do this -- but, since the cards now download only to hand instead of to table, it's much less powerful and is no longer the universal auto-include that Benefactor was for a while.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:06 pm It was pretty gross. If I'm not mistaken, you can still do this -- but, since the cards now download only to hand instead of to table, it's much less powerful and is no longer the universal auto-include that Benefactor was for a while.
Nope. The errata changed " [22] card" to " [22] Personnel"

So you technically can still do it with Rods and a CSx2 [22] personnel (I think that's pulled from the MVB Playbook IIRC) but it's a one- shot, and there's a much higher opportunity cost, so if someone wants to burn a seed slot on that tech, I got no beef.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
SudenKapala wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:43 pm What is...? [Down]
natch
Shorthand for "naturally"
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]