- Beta Quadrant
 -  
In our first game of The C-in-C tonight, my friend James played Temporal Benefactor with Mr. Spock attached. He had Dr. McCoy that had the name "First Officer Spock" in his lore in play. I argued that Mr. Spock is not First Officer Spock, but James said it mentions Spock so it counts. So we compromised and finished our game as though Mr. Spock and First Officer Spock are one and the same. BUT....now we need an answer. James still thinks Spock is Spock no matter the title. Can you please help us out?
Last edited by Tyberius_Deangelo on Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
I believe that the naming rules say you are right and he is wrong. He would be right if it was "any spock" but I believe named has to be exact...

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
From the rule book, in the characteristic section, Named In Lore Side Bar:
Clarifications: Named In Lore
A few cards and rules, like Dramatis Personae and matching commanders, check to see whether a card is "named in lore" of another. But this can raise questions: does William Samuels name Bok in lore, simply because he bombed the freighter Bok'Nor? (No.)

A card names another card in lore only if the named card's title exactly matches the name given in lore, including any capitalized modifiers (such as ranks, titles, and descriptors). Standard word form variations, such as declined or possessive nouns, do not "break" a match, and the capitalization of articles ("a", "the") may be disregarded. For example, I.K.C. K'elric names Captain Kang in lore (but not Kang), Bareil's lore names The Intendant and Els Renora's lore names Jadzia Dax.

Context matters for determining whether the lore is naming the subject. Incidental uses of a word, like "One" in Kovat's lore, do not count. Moreover, a card's lore may refer to its own subject by a different name. This can be used to identify the card's as (for example) a matching commander; the lore of Jean-Luc Picard (Premiere) identifies the card's subject, Jean-Luc Picard (Premiere), as a matching commander of U.S.S. Enterprise.
Just in case you don't trust the rulebook, it is in the glossary, too.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
jcchurch wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:13 pm I was under the impression that "Spock" meant "Spock". Mr. Spock and First Officer Spock are different characters and I should play them as such. I'll update my deck.
That's a perfectly reasonable intuition, and, at certain times in the past, the rules have supported it. (Data used to count as matching commander of the U.S.S. Sutherland, for example.) But this got very messy in many cases, and led to the current rule (which dates back to 2014).

Thanks, winterflames!

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I am sure you could say that... Adds skills and makes him a temporal agent. He can do some time travel, I guess.

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]

1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]