First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Armus wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pm So is the easy answer just a wording change to "Plays to immediately end your turn (skipping all end of turn phase actions, including your normal card draw)" or something to that effect?
If it's in parens, is it actually changing the meaning?

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Fritzinger wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:57 am I think 2e's great shame is it's attempt to turn human language into robot speak and I wish it could have the brevity of 1e.
Would definitely trade the lines and lines of nonsense for a bit more ambiguity in the situations where it matters.
This is an interesting view! :o Subconsciously, I've always found 2e to have rather... bland? gametext. Streamlined, and prolly better/clearer, but... lifeless? Compared to 1e.
I never consciously realized that or put it into words; thank you for drawing it out of my subconscious. :thumbsup:
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
SudenKapala wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:57 am This is an interesting view! :o Subconsciously, I've always found 2e to have rather... bland? gametext. Streamlined, and prolly better/clearer, but... lifeless? Compared to 1e.
I never consciously realized that or put it into words; thank you for drawing it out of my subconscious. :thumbsup:
So many cards' text is awkward to read. You would avoid a human who spoke like that.

Too many extra words and they blend together to lose meaning and sabotage understanding.

Be careful what you wish for, 1e.

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
One solution is to keep 1E cards wording like it is, ut on the database/glossory have the more mechanical text that is praise.

There s a good thing in he flavor of the cards being rich. But there's also a need for lear, unambiguous text somewhere.
the core question is should the same thing (the card itself) always provide both.

I would ay the Fajo Collection was a good example, where cards like Black Hole, Dixon Hill's Business Card, and Q'Uapla all gave to varying degrees a printed card that conveyed well the intentions of what the card did, but then also the rules supplement explained in mechanical detail what that was.

One "advantage" we have now is that everyone playing has easy access to the database of exact wording at all times with phones to clear up anything.

--------

TL;DR - the card text should clearly convey the intent, but I'm ok with having a database entry that explains the mechanics instead of the card itself, at least in theory
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
A card should be readable for the usual use-cases from a plain reading. Rulings are for the players who are looking for loopholes (like ending your turn when it's not your turn ;) ).

One thing I'd love to see is better templating - cards that do the same thing should use the same phrasing, and cards with the same phrasing should do the same thing. We've improved over the years here, but card literacy is a lot easier when you can recall other cards that say the same/similar and apply that knowledge to this new card.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation