First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
How is your discard pile empty? Process Ore: Mining requires you to discard a card first. That card becomes the bottom card of your discard pile immediately and can be removed in the next step of Process Ore: Mining.

By Dukat (Andreas Rheinländer)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
1E German National Runner-Up 2024
BCSWowbagger wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:21 am How is your discard pile empty? Process Ore: Mining requires you to discard a card first. That card becomes the bottom card of your discard pile immediately and can be removed in the next step of Process Ore: Mining.
Well, two options ...

My hand could be empty.

My opponent could play a card like Burial Ground or Fire Sculptor as a response, after I discarded a card from hand.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Dukat wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:30 pm
BCSWowbagger wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:21 am How is your discard pile empty? Process Ore: Mining requires you to discard a card first. That card becomes the bottom card of your discard pile immediately and can be removed in the next step of Process Ore: Mining.
Well, two options ...

My hand could be empty.

My opponent could play a card like Burial Ground or Fire Sculptor as a response, after I discarded a card from hand.
If your hand is empty you can't process ore. You need a card in hand to initiate the action.

By the same token, Fire Sculptor is not a valid response to discarding a card to process ore, so it couldn't be played until after the process ore action is complete, at which point your discard pile would be empty again anyway.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus is right, although that gives me an idea.

You could, in theory, discard a card from hand, then use Kitara to hit yourself with Souls of the Dead at suspends-play speed, removing the card from your discard pile in the middle of ore processing. Now you have an empty discard pile, just as Process Ore: Mining is telling you to place a card from your discard pile out-of-play.

I believe that would cause the action to fail. You would not get the draw. You may even have to undo the entire action, including the special download. (But this is so esoteric, I doubt it will come up very often.)

EDIT: Oh, no, hang on, that doesn't work after all: your Souls of the Dead will discard after resolving and will therefore be in the discard pile when the suspends-play ends and the Process Ore: Mining resumes.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]