By liberty86
 -  
My friends and I started playing 1E and are having a blast. I understand that rules can get tricky and we resort to the rulebook on this site often. Some of us hear or see YouTube videos of people mentioning specific things that we think we hear, but then cannot find in the rulebook to clarify or confirm so I figured I would ask them here.

Shields up for away teams: If a enemy ship is in the same space as your ship, are you automatically at "yellow alert" or the equivilant where your shields are up, and while the enemy ship is present, you cannot beam in/out of the ship to the planet for missions?

Intercept: My brother swears he read somewhere that if a enemy ship is passing by a space your ship currently occupies, you had the option to "intercept" the passing ship. I can find no reference to this in the rules as best as I can see, is this true? I figured it might be a term being used to describe attacking a enemy ship in the space during your turn.

I understand there are a lot of house rules that develop for a experience that fits the players given the vague nature of the structure of 1E. What are the most commonly used/agreed upon house rules that the community generally follows that seem to address the most pervasive issues they agree on in the game?

Thanks so much for all the help!
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Welcome and it's fantastic to hear that you've got a playgroup up and running! I'll do your best to answer your questions. Others will undoubtedly chime in as well.
Shields up for away teams: If a enemy ship is in the same space as your ship, are you automatically at "yellow alert" or the equivilant where your shields are up, and while the enemy ship is present, you cannot beam in/out of the ship to the planet for missions?
Your SHIELDS (on your ships and facilities) are always up. This ordinarily blocks all transporters. However, you may lower their SHIELDS while using transporters. (The SHIELDS immediately go back up after you're done beaming.)

Your opponent may be able to exploit this using Dropping In!
Intercept: My brother swears he read somewhere that if a enemy ship is passing by a space your ship currently occupies, you had the option to "intercept" the passing ship. I can find no reference to this in the rules as best as I can see, is this true? I figured it might be a term being used to describe attacking a enemy ship in the space during your turn.
I think that your brother must have read the card Hail, which allows this. (And, yes, I have occasionally spent entire games trying to avoid being stopped by a Hail.) There is no general "intercept" rule. But Hail can ruin your day!
I understand there are a lot of house rules that develop for a experience that fits the players given the vague nature of the structure of 1E. What are the most commonly used/agreed upon house rules that the community generally follows that seem to address the most pervasive issues they agree on in the game?
House rules absolutely dominated the game from 2002-2010 or so. One of the goals of the Continuing Committee's First Edition virtual revival has been to eliminate the need for house rules, with everyone playing according to a single global standard. (Then we can get together and play with each other and not get surprised by weird local rules.) I think it's been fairly successful, and I, at least, don't play with any house rules. On the other hand, if I didn't have any virtual cards or virtual errata, I might not feel so sanguine.

The retired X-List format and Revised format came out of house rules from a few different playgroups, back in the days before there were virtual cards and virtual errata. I would say they were the most popular house rules overall. The most popular current format, Official Tournament Format, was based on pieces from both X-List and Revised... but there's some interesting house rules that were not brought into OTF that might be fun to look at.

Welcome again and thanks for sharing! Now I'm pretty curious what house rules you guys have come up with! (I keep a collection of house rules on my hard drive, as a weird hobby.)

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Since James has already chimed in and is our resident First Edition Rules Master, (yes, that is a real staff position), I have nothing further to add, but I will second what he said. Also welcome to the site and feel free to ask other questions about interactions as you play. It's a good idea to try the search function for similar questions to what you may be asking; at best it answers your question and at worst you learn something about a similar interaction.

If you have questions about a specific card, please feel free to use the 1e button in the top right of the posting box. Just highlight the card name and then tap that button. There are so many cards to remember that it is often faster to get a response by linking the card name in this way.

Once again, welcome to the site and we look forward to hearing more from you and your playgroup.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
liberty86 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:06 pm My friends and I started playing 1E and are having a blast.
Welcome, and I'm glad to hear that you all are enjoying yourselves. Where are you located?

By liberty86
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:36 am
liberty86 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:06 pm My friends and I started playing 1E and are having a blast.
Welcome, and I'm glad to hear that you all are enjoying yourselves. Where are you located?
We're all in Northern California, wife and I may have to move to find a affordable house at some point but in the meantime making the most of things here. A lot of us 30 somethings who love Star Trek loving exploring this game. Particularly since we're not certain what is good or bad, it enables us to enjoy exploring different cards and actually experiment.

Thanks so much for the feedback, and absolutely will do! Point well taken on the house rules, mainly right now its limited for us to things like "If after a few turns you didn't get a ship, go ahead and search for one" kinda stuff, though a few of us have caught onto using the Q's Tent to resolve that with a shuttle. A lot of our decks only have 1 of each card both to have a different play experience, and so we don't accidentally run a lot of the same cards if they end up being too dominant. Our dilemma usage is also one of each, and we try our noobie best to keep it mixed with good, bad and fun/silly ones. On the flip side, at least so far, we try to attempt missions with a actual crew intending to complete it, rather than send a red shirt to trigger dilemmas. But we're evolving to be sure, very new means we try a lot and just see what feels right or more fun.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
OTSD brought some great staple cards to the game in 1998, many of which still see significant play today.

One card I would point you to that really solved the issue of being "ship screwed" by a bad draw is Spacedoor.

I mention this because it's a card that can eliminate the need for that particular house rule, but also because the CC just recently released OTSD Remastered, which gives you access to the entire OTSD set and is now fully printable and updated with modern wordings on the cards.

Hopefully you find that helpful. Welcome to the community and Good luck! :cheersL:
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Official Tournament Sealed Deck was a product designed to allow people to build functional decks in the sealed environment. Due to the way the cards in Premiere were sorted, you could open a starter and multiple packs and not have an outpost or Treaties or be missing key skills like Diplomacy. All the promo cards in OTSD mitigate these issues.

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
liberty86 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:05 pm We're all in Northern California,
Welcome! I live in Tracy, right outside the Bay Area. There's a bunch of Second Edition players that meets monthly in San Jose that I play with.

If you are any where near that or Tracy in NorCal, feel free to PM me and we might be able to meet up at some point. :)
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]