By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
If I play Assassination Plot, and call out "Officer", will this card kill someone with Officer Classification?

Glossary says under use skills
If a card requires a personnel type such as MEDICAL without specifying a classification or a skill, either suffices.
Since this specifies a SKILL, does that mean a classification doesn't work?
Last edited by Takket on Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chief Programmer
By eberlems
 - Chief Programmer
 -  
Explorer
2E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E  National Second Runner-Up 2023
Rulebook wrote: Clarifications: Classifications vs. Skills

Classifications sometimes appear as skills, and they are usually equivalent. For example, Overseer Odo has classification OFFICER and the skill SECURITY. He may contribute his OFFICER classification to nullifying Maglock, and may use his SECURITY skill to help against Kazon Bomb.

However, a few cards, like Crisis, specify that a requirement can be fulfilled only by a member of the correct "classification". For those cards, only a card's classification counts. Overseer Odo can use a Medical Kit, because of his OFFICER classification, but cannot report to Security Office or activate Body Armor, because both these cards require SECURITY as a classifcation, not a skill.
Skill seems to be both Classification skill or [SD] skill.

By WeAreBack
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Do I get to see my opponent's personnel who the assassin is present with before I name the skill? (I'm guessing no.)

If I name a skill and nobody has it, what happens? Do we just not select anyone and continue reading the card so that the assassin returns to hand? Or does my opponent show me that there is no valid target, so the card can't be played at all? (Which would let me try the download again and, surprise surprise, I just saw the personnel so I pick a skill that's actually present.)
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
1E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
You name the skill first. You randomly select nobody to kill (after verifying the skills present). The assassin returns to hand. Assassination Plot discards.

By commdecker (Matthew Zinno)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Arbiter
Community Contributor
I disagree with eberlems. This specifies a skill, and a classification is not a skill, like with AMS points. They both meet dilemma or mission requirements, but this is a different situation which specifically says "skill".
WeAreBack wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:13 am Do I get to see my opponent's personnel who the assassin is present with before I name the skill? (I'm guessing no.)
No. I usually use this after an "opponent's choice" dilemma, which lets you see everything.
If I name a skill and nobody has it, what happens? Do we just not select anyone and continue reading the card so that the assassin returns to hand?
Yup, that one. You put all (0) personnel with that skill into a pile, and pick from it. Surprise, no-one. Card fizzles and continues.
Question for noob

I still think I'm misunderstanding TMW. By saying […]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]