By phaserihardlyknowher (Ben Daeuber)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
First of all, I want to give kudos to the design team for adding a second, so far under-the-radar deck type to Dogs of War (at least judging from the achievements). I was worried about playing Cardassian Liberation Front, but it's fun and with a bit of tweaking, could work pretty well, I think (mostly a second draw engine of some sort to get unique personnel into hand).

I have a couple of related question, however.

Is Makbar resistance related? I'm 95% sure not since "resist" does not equal "resistance", but it seems like an odd piece of lore otherwise so I though maybe....

If using Comfort Women, what is a regular skill? I was sort of queuing off the deck builder at first, but the glossary lists pretty much everything that's not a one-off or special skill dot. Does that mean I can make my Cardassian Gul an ANIMAL? Or a member of Section 31? Or even give him Barbering? The later seems so ridiculous that I thought I'd clarify.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
phaserihardlyknowher wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:37 pm(mostly a second draw engine of some sort to get unique personnel into hand).
Unique personnel you say? Let me propose A Better Alternative.
Is Makbar resistance related? I'm 95% sure not since "resist" does not equal "resistance", but it seems like an odd piece of lore otherwise so I though maybe....
You are correct. "Resist" does not equal "resistance," not when a card is looking for an exact quote in quotation marks like that.
If using Comfort Women, what is a regular skill? I was sort of queuing off the deck builder at first, but the glossary lists pretty much everything that's not a one-off or special skill dot. Does that mean I can make my Cardassian Gul an ANIMAL? Or a member of Section 31? Or even give him Barbering? The later seems so ridiculous that I thought I'd clarify.
A regular skill is any skill that is not a special skill. Special skills are skills that provide special bespoke abilities (including [DL]), as specified by each individual special skill. The list of regular skills is given in the Glossary, Appendix A.

ANIMAL, Section 31, and Barbering are all regular skills. So is Mindmeld. Have at it!

Sorry I missed today's event. Would have loved to see this in action. On the bright side, the swimming up here in Nisswa's nice.

By Enabran
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E Austrian National Second Runner-Up 2022
A regular Skill has a [SD] and only one or two words
A special Skill has also a [SD] but has more words and ends always with a Period (end point)

Regular Skill:
[SD] Obsidian Order

Special Skill:
[SD] Attributes all +2 if with Miles O'Brien.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:44 am Unique personnel you say? Let me propose A Better Alternative.
I considered that, but when I was draw testing, I still had trouble drawing it and I need to cycle the unique personnel I'm looking for to get the draws. I am, perhaps, missing something.

Matt was using Parallax Arguers and Strategic Sector in his deck (which was decidedly uncool after the fourth or fifth time) and I could get two cards with that since the deck needs at least a couple of Cardassia Region missions and there's obviously no facilities.

Jason's suggestion was Process Ore: Mining. This seems well suited since I can have Bronok mining draws on turn one with Revolutionaries and no facilities to move him away from.

All ideas worth testing.
A regular skill is any skill that is not a special skill. Special skills are skills that provide special bespoke abilities (including [DL]), as specified by each individual special skill. The list of regular skills is given in the Glossary, Appendix A.

ANIMAL, Section 31, and Barbering are all regular skills. So is Mindmeld. Have at it!
I did hear somewhere that the Glossary is a good reference. Not sure where, though...?

Still seems unrealistic that a Romulan Senator can learn Barbering, since all Romulans seem to have the same haircut. Maybe that's why they need someone outside of their species.
Sorry I missed today's event. Would have loved to see this in action. On the bright side, the swimming up here in Nisswa's nice.
It was lots of fun. The next time I'm for sure in town will be the weekend after Thanksgiving, which I'm sure is a busy time for people, but if anyone's available, perhaps we can connect for some casual games. It will probably be too cold for swimming in Nisswa, at least.
North American OP Coordinator
By The Ninja Scot (Michael Van Breemen)
 - North American OP Coordinator
 -  
1E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E World Champion 2023
Tribbles World Champion 2022
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Champion 2023
2E North American Continental Champion 2023
  Trek Masters 1E Champion 2024
1E Canadian National Champion 2023
1E American National Champion 2023
2E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E  National Runner-Up 2023
2E American National Second Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
2E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
If you're only playing one personnel for free a turn, perhaps New Arrivals would be a good option. Works to get a free person a turn even if they're not unique and you don't have to discard/remove any cards for extra draws.

Michael

By Orbin (James Monsebroten)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:44 am
phaserihardlyknowher wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:37 pm(mostly a second draw engine of some sort to get unique personnel into hand).
Unique personnel you say? Let me propose A Better Alternative.
You are correct. "Resist" does not equal "resistance," not when a card is looking for an exact quote in quotation marks like that.

BCSWowbagger, did the site download on Comfort Women make it unusable in a deck without a Nor?

-James M
 -  
2E World Champion 2023
The Traveler
BCSWowbagger, did the site download on Comfort Women make it unusable in a deck without a Nor?

-James M

He's probably seeding it on Bajor to make [Baj] female personnel [Car] Dissidents.

Michael

By Orbin (James Monsebroten)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
The Ninja Scot wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:48 am BCSWowbagger, did the site download on Comfort Women make it unusable in a deck without a Nor?

-James M

He's probably seeding it on Bajor to make [Baj] female personnel [Car] Dissidents.

Michael
Yup, which is why I asked. The text for the seed on Bajor part reads:
Seeds on Bajor. Your [Baj] females become [Car] dissidents with "Terok Nor" in lore (even if not in play); download a site.
It does not say "you may download a site"

-James M
 -  
2E World Champion 2023
The Traveler
Orbin wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:50 am
The Ninja Scot wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:48 am BCSWowbagger, did the site download on Comfort Women make it unusable in a deck without a Nor?

-James M

Michael
Seeds on Bajor. Your [Baj] females become [Car] dissidents with "Terok Nor" in lore (even if not in play); download a site.

-James M
You can have sites in a deck without using a Nor. It just doesn't do anything without one.

Michael
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
1E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
The Ninja Scot wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:52 am
Orbin wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:50 am

-James M

Michael

-James M
You can have sites in a deck without using a Nor. It just doesn't do anything without one.

Michael
But the download of a site is required. If you don't have a target for the site to play to, the card shouldn't work.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
The Ninja Scot wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:16 am If you're only playing one personnel for free a turn, perhaps New Arrivals would be a good option. Works to get a free person a turn even if they're not unique and you don't have to discard/remove any cards for extra draws.
The primary draw engine for this deck is Revolutionaries which downloads two ❖ per turn (as long as you have copies of Revolutionaries to download) and Cardassian Liberation Front gives one free report. If I read it correctly, I could still use New Arrivals + Revolutionaries (since the download is not a play), but end up with a glut of ❖ or skipping the draw when I need to report a unique. On the other hand, there's lots of ❖ to report, so perhaps that's not a bad thing. It seems somewhat redundant, but worth testing.
Orbin wrote: It does not say "you may download a site"

Oof, you're right. This would be unfortunate. I wouldn't say it's strictly necessary to make the deck work, but it's sure nice to have the option to cover the Cardassian's skill gaps by mixing and Kira (and Kira Meru if you're willing to play an AU door just for her), would be the only other option. I didn't really notice that semicolon clause.
Last edited by phaserihardlyknowher on Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Orbin wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:39 am BCSWowbagger, did the site download on Comfort Women make it unusable in a deck without a Nor?
For its second function, yes. The download is mandatory and the card play fails if the download is not completed successfully.

OP's question was about its first function, though, which works just fine so long as you can get an appropriate other species person out.
 -  
2E World Champion 2023
The Traveler
You could always put in Empok Nor since it isn't "yours" when it is in play unless you commandeer it. That would give you a spot to put the site (just don't put in an Ops or a docking site and no one gets to commandeer it either.)

Michael

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:26 pm For its second function, yes. The download is mandatory and the card play fails if the download is not completed successfully.

OP's question was about its first function, though, which works just fine so long as you can get an appropriate other species person out.
Well, they are sort of tied together. Not much point in stocking it in a deck if you don't have anyone to play it on. This makes Cardassian Dissidents less usable, in my opinion, because Cardassians have some skill gaps that are hard to cover that their facilitied counterparts can cover with Comfort Women.

The Empok Nor option doesn't seem to work either based on the previous discussion of "in play" meaning "anything you own, regardless of whether or not you control it". It also takes up a seed slot, and low seed cards is one of the things that makes this a fun (and viable) deck. It does explain why I saw so few decks using it, however. I'm tinkering now to see if it's possible to make this work without it. There's only a handful of missing skills, so maybe.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]