First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:58 pm
Rachmaninoff wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:16 pm can you use Ready Room Door to download Rinnak Pire to a ship affected by Preoccupied? My thought is
yes, since conditions are checked upon initiation of the action, and he only loses the skill after he is "aboard," which happens at resolution -- but I'll admit my understanding of what exactly is active before something enters play is fuzzy, so I'm not entirely sure.
I agree with this answer.
Tracks for me as well. The inverse (say, trying to download Rusot (Things Past) using Defend Homeworld to where Damar is) wouldn't work, because that SECURITY won't turn on until he enters play, which is after you need it.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Everybody agrees with me? How boring. Let's try another Rinnak Pire special skill question.

"May" suggests that you can choose whether or not Rinnak Pire acts as matching commander of a ship. Does this choice follow the timing of switching multi-affiliation personnel (turning this status on/off is an action), or is it like variable-attribute personnel such as Quark or Rom (where you make the choice whenever it's asked for, and you can make different choices within the same mission attempt, or even within the same dilemma).

Concrete example: I have a fleet of four Bajoran Interceptors with Rinnak Pire aboard and Captain's Log in play. I attack your outpost, you attempt to use Bashir Founder to download Supernova. Under "multi-affiliation" timing, at any given point in time Rinnak Pire's status is deterministic -- if I can attack you with 40 WEAPONS, you can Supernova my fleet. Under "variable-attribute" rules, it's Schrödingeresque: when determining battle results, I can claim 40 WEAPONS, and whenever you try to download Supernova I can claim I have only 28 and the download is invalid.

Apologies if this is derailing Dukat's thread, but I'm still trying to parse exactly what "may" means here... I'm not entirely convinced that word is used the same way on Rinnak as it is on Li Nalas or other personnel, but I'm not yet able to put into words exactly why.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]

Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]

Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]