Shipping Manager
By SirDan (Dan Hamman)
 - Shipping Manager
 -  
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
My memory is foggy but I seem to recall some tricks in the mission seeding phase that one could take, for example, another action instead of flipping a mission for spaceline-creation advantage. For example seeding an Ultimatum to download a Bajoran Wormhole where it would be more advantageous, seeding a card on table instead of flipping a mission, or whatnot.

I re-read the mission seeding rules and it seems to be pretty explicit that the only thing you do is flip missions (and do mandatory downloads).

Are there any tricks that you can use - beyond regions and Space - to manipulate this part of the seed phase? Clearly you can't pass, right?

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
In OTF I don't think you can seed non-Missions during the mission phase unless otherwise stated (Empok Nor).

In Open this was once possible -- Rulebook 1.7, the last Decipher rulebook included a statement that "A few Event, Objective, and Incident cards have game text which allows them to seed. Unless they specify a particular phase, you may seed such cards during any seed phase." Typically this was done during the dilemma phase, to get the all-important "last seed" under missions, but could technically be done during any phase.

But I don't see this language in the current rulebook, in fact there is this statement: "Doorways, Missions, Dilemmas, and Facilities must be seeded in the corresponding phase. Other cards that seed (like Establish Landing Protocols) must seed during the Facility Phase." I do not see a sidebar indicating this rule is relaxed in Open, so I don't think this trick works now.

As for passing, as I read the current rulebook, in OTF it is only possible during the dilemma phase (and once you pass, you're done) and facility phase (which ends when both players pass -- but it is not clear to me that passing ends your ability to seed more facilities later if your opponent keeps going). For Open, it mentions the possibility of passing during the *doorway* phase (and the phase ending when the two players pass consecutively), but nowhere else... which I take to mean the OTF rules apply in the other phases too.

So in short, I do not believe such tricks are possible any more.

An occasionally-useful shenanigan is that you are allowed to cut the opponent's mission deck after they shuffle, which means you can see if they are using any two-sided missions. You are free to cut an Outpost II to the bottom of the stack (so it's forced to the edge of the spaceline), or to the top (so it's easy to attack if you're playing battle), for instance.
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
We locked all cards into specific phases a while back, so you cannot pass to manipulate the spaceline
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
pfti wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:13 am We locked all cards into specific phases a while back, so you cannot pass to manipulate the spaceline
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

This occurred in CRD 201903, released March 4th, 2019.
Question for noob

It allows that personnel to mix. So if you play Fe[…]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]