By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Cellular Peptide Cake says "Then return this card to hand and discard an Event OR Discard event."

Assumptions (that I'm pretty sure about):

1. "discard an event" means discard an event from play, not from your hand. The reason I assume this is because the same wording is used after the OR to mean "Discard this event" which is the CPC in play.

2. You have to "discard" your own event as part of "Discard this event".

Assumptions I am not sure about:
The discarded event for "Discard this Event" is not "nullified", because discarding something is not the same as it being "nullified"??? Therefore you can discard your own events that may not be nullified.
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
So I think it is actually an event from hand.
Discard event is really shorthand for "discard this event" so it is giving you direct to discard an event from play

if you dont have explicit directions of where a discard comes from, it comes from your hand

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Yeah, I believe the intention is you return opponent's legal event to their hand and you either discard CPC (the after OR option) or you discard an event from hand in order to put the CPC back in your hand.

Since CPC returns to hand prior to you discarding an event, CPC is still legal to discard from your hand if you had no other events in your hand.

Well if I plan to discard CPC from my hand, why would I need the option to discard it from the table? Well, if I only could discard it from the table, that would let my opponent know i have no other events or at least none I prefer to discard. The option for discarding from the table hides those facts.

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
pfti wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:48 am So I think it is actually an event from hand.
Discard event is really shorthand for "discard this event" so it is giving you direct to discard an event from play

if you dont have explicit directions of where a discard comes from, it comes from your hand
"Discard dilemma" doesn't mean from your hand. I think the card could use clarification, or just errata to make it more playable anyway.
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
geraldkw wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:25 pm
pfti wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:48 am So I think it is actually an event from hand.

"Discard dilemma" doesn't mean from your hand. I think the card could use clarification, or just errata to make it more playable anyway.
This is the same shorthand as "discard event." The current card is the subject of the sentence fragment.

however when it is "discard a X" x has to come from hand unless otherwise specified.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
im pretty sure the default discard in 1e is from play and not hand. unlike every other card game.

id like to see discarding exclusively means from hand and other stuff "destroys" or "nullifies"

would need a major mass errata tho

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Ensign Q wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:03 am im pretty sure the default discard in 1e is from play and not hand. unlike every other card game.

id like to see discarding exclusively means from hand and other stuff "destroys" or "nullifies"

would need a major mass errata tho
I agree with you. There’s a few grammar / clarification things like that that would require mass errata of probably hundreds of cards I’ve seen talked about from time to time, and one of the hold back is of course art and redoing so many cards.

Which makes me think of other games, and how errata for things like this exist in the rules and website, but not on the cards until the next time they are naturally revisited.

So my question is for things that are purely clarification and do not change the actual gameplay - would people be ok with mass errata and the cards not getting new versions any time soon?

There is one situation I can think of that already exists, which it the IKC/IKS ruling of being interchangeable.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
mtg did a couple mass errata along the way. they just update the gatherer database and that text counts.
it would be possible to just update the cards in here as well, with an updated card image pending. if only lackey would display text instead of an image...
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation