By jquam
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
I've noticed that on some cards, it spells out that you may download Card X once per game. e.g. Suna: Once per game, may download Reflection Therapy. Is this not the same thing as a special download? If not, what is the difference? If so, why not print it with the [DL] icon to save space?
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
jquam wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:08 pm I've noticed that on some cards, it spells out that you may download Card X once per game. e.g. Suna: Once per game, may download Reflection Therapy. Is this not the same thing as a special download? If not, what is the difference? If so, why not print it with the [DL] icon to save space?
It's a timing issue, and arguably one of the trickiest in 1E. The "special download" icon - [DL] - comes with the ability to "suspend play." It stops everything when it's used, even another action like a mission attempt, to bring the card into play. That card is then played immediately - again, even if it normally couldn't be - and then play resumes.

So for someone like Suna, if he had [DL] Reflection Therapy, it could be used in the middle of a mission attempt, while facing a dilemma, to change a skill into a different skill. This would make it possible to pass a dilemma you couldn't otherwise, in the middle of the dilemma. But instead, his download is spelled out. This makes it an order, so it can't be used in the middle of another action.

-crp

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
MidnightLich wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:40 pm
Armus wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:38 pm Revised Kim doesn't care about Suna's timing problems... :shifty:

:P
He also doesn't go in as many decks.

-crp
And he is not guaranteed in OTSD like Suna.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]