First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Armus wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:05 pm So when you play a card like Uninvited, or Vault of Tomorrow which allows you to "search your dilemma pile", you have access to both the face up and face down parts, and can choose any eligible dilemma, after which you shuffle them back together in one face down pile.
Ah, it's written on the card that you shuffle them together, not in the rules.

Must be nice to have all that space. ;)

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
AllenGould wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:27 pm
Armus wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:05 pm So when you play a card like Uninvited, or Vault of Tomorrow which allows you to "search your dilemma pile", you have access to both the face up and face down parts, and can choose any eligible dilemma, after which you shuffle them back together in one face down pile.
Ah, it's written on the card that you shuffle them together, not in the rules.

Must be nice to have all that space. ;)
Good thing the 1e rulebook is so comprehensive that it doesn't need to be on the card:
The rulebook wrote: If any player looks through your draw deck or any side deck during a download, you must reshuffle it afterwards.

This whole thing really feels like an IT dept trying to convince everyone "no really guys, this really is better" and it inevitably is worse bc things running smooth is not how IT keeps their jobs .....
Last edited by Hoss-Drone on Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
Hi, all, I'm not responding much because my current mood is "thoughtful", but I am enjoying both ends of the discussion.

I may be less-available for the next couple of weeks, because my seven-year-old just got a positive covid diagnosis.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
SirDan wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:02 pm
Armus wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:01 pmQ Flash barely sees play as it is... why make it harder than it needs to be to pull shenanigans?
Conservatism. Knowing that more [Q] is on the horizon, I'm firmly on board with incremental improvements to an entire mechanic that can blow up if boosted too much. Honestly, I don't think it should be included in more than a quarter of decks. That may be too high. It should remain a fringe strategy, that pops up every once in a while, and is random and wacky. Downloading removes some of the randomness. Seeing it in every competitive deck removes the wacky.

So, no. Even with all the counters you listed, it should have a chance to fail. If you want to make it a sure thing, 1) use the download before a Flash happens and takes some cards out, or 2) make your side deck bigger and add more copies so you can be pretty sure it will still contain what you need. I like both of these tradeoffs as restrictions.
Ok boomer. :P :P

Joking aside this reminds me of the discussion back when FC came out and people saying they thought downloading out of the tent would maketl the tent too powerful.

Qflash has sucked so bad that I'm ok with giving it a jolt given that not only does miss q wreck it, so do the traditional Kevin/Amanda/Quinn trifecta. It's fully in check if ppl want to check it.

The broader issue really is the only important one: carving out new special handling and processes that actually increases complexity is not good. Everything was working fine and was covered under existing rules regarding downloads, side decks, shuffling and "here". If you want conservativism in this issue, support my side.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
BCSWowbagger wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:53 pm because my seven-year-old just got a positive covid diagnosis.
Shit. I'm sorry to hear that.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:53 pm Hi, all, I'm not responding much because my current mood is "thoughtful", but I am enjoying both ends of the discussion.

I may be less-available for the next couple of weeks, because my seven-year-old just got a positive covid diagnosis.
Best wishes to the family for a speedy recovery!

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
AllenGould wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:27 pm Must be nice to have all that space. ;)
To be fair, its not like 1E couldn't have the space if we decided to alter the template. I am not advocating for making the gameplay like 2E, but especially for dilemmas where 1 more line of text could make things much clearer - I do think it's time to look at adapting.
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 -  
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:24 pm
BCSWowbagger wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:53 pm because my seven-year-old just got a positive covid diagnosis.
Shit. I'm sorry to hear that.
's'alright. She had a mild fever and has already recovered from it. Now we're just trying to keep it from spreading to the other kid (or either of us vaxxed parents) and then survive ten long days of cabin fever under covid isolation rules.

It promises to be exhausting but not especially harrowing.

Thank you all for your kind wishes and offers of help, both in this thread and over PM.

(You may now resume the regular thread business, which I continue to read intently.)
 -  
Community Contributor
Hoss-Drone wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:52 pm Good thing the 1e rulebook is so comprehensive that it doesn't need to be on the card:
Mutual snarking aside :shifty: I just meant that 2E gets to do things differently than 1E because from the ground up they've not only had larger templates to work with, but they also got to crib off 1E's homework. (Which is good - why repeat mistakes?)

1E has some larger templates *now*, but we don't really have the luxury to hard-stop and do a massive rewrite of the hundreds/thousands of cards to get all the text aligned.

(Personally, I think side decks should just have their own discard pile. But that ship has sailed, hit an iceberg, and Leo is currently clinging to a door at the bottom of the sea.)
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation