By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Other Borg Restrictions

Borg do not commandeer (they assimilate instead), and do not use hand weapons for any purpose.

If I was coming in blind to the game / rules, that line would make me think that any card that said Commandeer would let the Borg assimilate.

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
boromirofborg wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:45 pm
Other Borg Restrictions

Borg do not commandeer (they assimilate instead), and do not use hand weapons for any purpose.

If I was coming in blind to the game / rules, that line would make me think that any card that said Commandeer would let the Borg assimilate.
That's a far point, as well.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
While we're here, does anyone know the reason for the Borg-no-hand-weapons rule? That rule popped up in the The Borg Rules Supplement, four years after Borg came out, and I never quite figured out why.

The original 1997 rule was that Borg could technically use hand weapons, but each individual hand weapon had "[affiliation] use only" restrictions that blocked Borg. No need for a separate rule.

In August 2000, Decipher added a rule that stealing a hand weapon removed the "[Affiliation] use only" restrictions. So now Borg could use hand weapons that they stole.

And then, a year later, Decipher added a separate Borg-specific rule banning that. Does anyone know why?

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Trek Sense is the only guess I can offer. Borg have been seen on-screen using a PADD, the other big class of affiliation-specific Equipment, but never a hand weapon (at least not that I can remember offhand).

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Other Borg Restrictions

I definitely thought this said capture, not commandeer. So I retract my question. Borg can capture.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Takket wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:11 pm
Other Borg Restrictions

I definitely thought this said capture, not commandeer. So I retract my question. Borg can capture.
On the other hand, A Fast Ship Would Be Nice is a great Borg card since it guarantees a kill. :borg:

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:49 pm
Takket wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:11 pm

On the other hand, A Fast Ship Would Be Nice is a great Borg card since it guarantees a kill. :borg:
I never encountered this, but I see in the Glossy that this is true.

But how do we support that? From the wording, I would think that, maybe -- I'm not sure! (I want to be sure!) --, the first two parts happen first (ship is substituted; ship jumps ship), and the 3rd (commandeered) simply cannot happen?

It would feel totally different to me if the card said, "either you may..., or you may substitute a ship by having it commandeered by opponent" (or some such) -- in which there is a clear cause/effect relationship between substitution and commandeering.

Or: "... by letting opponent commandeer a vessel (...".

But how it is worded now, I feel such a relation is... vague, at best.

Still, the Glossy is clear about it!

So... why is it explained/interpreted like it is? @BCSWowbagger, perhaps?
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]