First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
No. USS Enterprise-C does not equal USS Enterprise.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
why?
cards that have that exact title followed by a colon, dash, or the numeral "II" are equivalent to that card title.

do you answer by rules or by intent?
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
See named in lore in Glossary. It’s equivalent to naming Mr Brunt in lore, which doesn’t include naming Brunt in lore.

To be fair, an explicit Enterprise example would be useful there, for exactly this type of question, as it’s been asked before.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Ensign Q wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:12 am so can picard report to the -c with Finest Crew in the Fleet?

mr brunt is not in the colon rule
No. The U.S.S. Enterprise and the U.S.S. Enterprise-C are two different ships with two different titles (though they are both Enterprises for things like Wall of Ships). The colon rule does not apply.

By patrick (Patrick Weijers)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:13 amThe colon rule does not apply.
Is there an explanation somewhere that tells me when the colon rule applies, and when it doesn't? Because it's not clear to me. Is it "doesn't count for named-in-lore' ?

Also, can't we errata the cards that use a dash instead of a colon? I think that should prevent some of the confusion...

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:13 am
Ensign Q wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:12 am so can picard report to the -c with Finest Crew in the Fleet?

mr brunt is not in the colon rule
No. The U.S.S. Enterprise and the U.S.S. Enterprise-C are two different ships with two different titles (though they are both Enterprises for things like Wall of Ships). The colon rule does not apply.
but why?
its not enterprise C, but enterprise dash C

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
This is going to sound stupid and pedantic, but this is where pedantry actually matters. It isn't a dash. It is a hyphen, indicating a Compound word. That card isn't the U.S.S. Enterprise - C. The card is U.S.S. Enterprise-C. The Enterprise and the C are one word, not 2 different Clauses like the armus or clown dilemmas.

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
winterflames wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:08 pm This is going to sound stupid and pedantic, but this is where pedantry actually matters. It isn't a dash. It is a hyphen, indicating a Compound word. That card isn't the U.S.S. Enterprise - C. The card is U.S.S. Enterprise-C. The Enterprise and the C are one word, not 2 different Clauses like the armus or clown dilemmas.
wtf?
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Ensign Q wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:34 pm
winterflames wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:08 pm This is going to sound stupid and pedantic, but this is where pedantry actually matters. It isn't a dash. It is a hyphen, indicating a Compound word. That card isn't the U.S.S. Enterprise - C. The card is U.S.S. Enterprise-C. The Enterprise and the C are one word, not 2 different Clauses like the armus or clown dilemmas.
wtf?
Some reference material (from Grammarly, because it was the top link that didn't look like a Proper Style Guide)

Short version is: dashes and hyphens are different things that just annoying look fairly similar. Borrowing an example from the link, it's the difference between "dog-friendly" and "dog - friendly"

By Ensign Q
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
where are those different things on the keyboard?
space hyphen space is a dash?
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Ensign Q wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:39 pm where are those different things on the keyboard?
space hyphen space is a dash?
depends - did you want an en dash or an em dash?

Seriously - this gets *super* into the weeds of grammar and type-setting - it's like the literary equivalent of action timing.

The link I gave is probably the simplest answer someone *can* give that doesn't point you at a proper Style Guide.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
To be fair, I did spend 3 years in university as an English Literature Major. Before I spent 2 years as an Anthropology Major, then quit because we got pregnant and "money - now" became much more important than "degree - later." You know what they say, "You don't change horses mid-stream," but I didn't listen.

Hyphen versus Dash is one of those things you only get wrong once per professor. (Some just don't care. But Dr. Stayton did. And I had her for 7 classes over 4 semesters.)
Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]

Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]

1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]