By aabecame
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
What happens if I face a penalty box from two different Q flash dilemmas under the same mission

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
aabecame wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:35 pm What happens if I face a penalty box from two different Q flash dilemmas under the same mission
Good question.

I would rule that as long as the dilemmas causing the Q flash are different, then the [Q] dilemmas faced as a sub-action are legal as long as you don't face the same one twice in the same flash.

That's the intuitive answer for me, which means it's probably wrong according to the rulebook... :P
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:17 pm
aabecame wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:35 pm What happens if I face a penalty box from two different Q flash dilemmas under the same mission
Good question.

I would rule that as long as the dilemmas causing the Q flash are different, then the [Q] dilemmas faced as a sub-action are legal as long as you don't face the same one twice in the same flash.

That's the intuitive answer for me, which means it's probably wrong according to the rulebook... :P
I agree with this.

The relevant rule is "Any card revealed at a mission that cannot be legally encountered at that mission is immediately placed out-of-play (it is not encountered). Mis-seeds include (but are not limited to):... multiple copies of the same card seeded under one Mission by a single player..."

This rule was reworded slightly when it was moved from the Glossary to the Rulebook, but has the same effect.
The old wording was: "If more than one copy of any card, seeded by the same player, is encountered under one mission, any copy after the first is placed out-of-play as a misseed."

Penalty Box is an event. It is therefore played, not encountered. This rule is therefore inapplicable to Penalty Box.

But what if it were Ar-Q-ologist instead? I'm glad you asked! Ar-Q-ologist is a dilemma, and you encounter it... but it is never seeded "under" a mission. Therefore this rule is again inapplicable.

Really the only thing that forces you to discard duplicate cards from a Q-Flash is that text on Q-Flash itself that says "discarding duplicates," and that text only applies to a single Flash.

My apologies to whichever player in your game got screwed by Penalty Boxes, but it is my opinion that this works.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation