By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Hoss-Drone wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:18 pm I was on some strong pain meds yesterday and misread the post. I retract my entire post.
No worries man. Whatever has you on pain meds, I hope you can shake it sooner rather than later! :cheersL:

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Armus wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:13 pm
Hoss-Drone wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:18 pm I was on some strong pain meds yesterday and misread the post. I retract my entire post.
No worries man. Whatever has you on pain meds, I hope you can shake it sooner rather than later! :cheersL:

I popped a vertebrae in my neck and sprained my back both during a bowling tournament saturday. Pain meds and chiropractor and some time is all i need.

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Hoss-Drone wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:15 am
Armus wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:13 pm

I popped a vertebrae in my neck and sprained my back both during a bowling tournament saturday. Pain meds and chiropractor and some time is all i need.
Sorry to hear that, but at least you did it bowling. I'd end up doing it picking up a bag of groceries.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
winterflames wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:18 pm So, wait, My office of the president had to seed on espionage mission? I thought any Alpha Earth was a valid target for that facility.
It's a [Fed] HQ, has to play to a [Fed] Homeworld. Seat of Starfleet, by the same token, has to play to [SF] Homeworld. Yes, I realize it says 2154 Earth, but when OoTP came out there was only 1 Earth.

Maybe OotP needs clarifying errata?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
I actually don't think that's right.

I'm not aware of any reason that OOTP can't seed or play on Research Devastating Attack. However, I hope you weren't planning on playing Defend Homeworld or Strategema, as neither will help you if you have a boom-happy opponent.

On the other hand, it's a non-stealable mission and you can still cheese a Phoenix into Orbit for 10 points, so it's not all bad.

As with most deck building decisions, a player has to weigh the tradeoffs.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
From the rulebook:

Headquarters are the centers of government located on each affiliation's homeworld. If both players are playing the same affiliation, they share control of its headquarters.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Professor Scott wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:12 pm From the rulebook:

Headquarters are the centers of government located on each affiliation's homeworld. If both players are playing the same affiliation, they share control of its headquarters.
Ootp seeds or plays on Earth.

Research Devastating Attack is Earth.

Therefore, OOTP seeds or plays on Research Devastating Attack.

Classic case of a specific card overriding a general rule.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
Armus wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:14 pm

Your rules English-fu checks out, however, I still don't think this is the intention of the rules. @BCSWowbagger, is there any prior ruling on this? Even if you are technically correct (TBKoC), is this something that is intentional or should this get errata to fix?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Professor Scott wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:17 pm
Armus wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:14 pm

Your rules English-fu checks out, however, I still don't think this is the intention of the rules. @BCSWowbagger, is there any prior ruling on this?
Look man, you wanna drop a planet facility with a built in free play engine and cheese Phoenixes, knock yourself out.

Just don't cry when I decide to roll into Sector 001 and nuke the whole operation from orbit! :twisted:
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor

In context, this sentence is from the same section of the rules that describes artifacts as "rare and precious objects with special powers" and events and incidents as representing "developments within the universe." We're just trying to give players a sense of what the cards do!

But the fact that Ablative Armor doesn't fit the broad definition of "portable tools and other devices" doesn't mean you can't play Ablative Armor as an equipment. Nor does the fact that outposts represent "operational bases on the frontiers of known space" mean you can't build a Federation Outpost at Reunion (quite the opposite of a frontier!).

In short, when a card overrides a general rule, follow the card. Headquarters in general represent the centers of government on each affiliation's homeworld. But OOTP says it can seed on Earth, so OOTP can seed on Research Devastating Attack.

(Also, this sentence about HQs was written well before Research Devastating Attack existed, so, at the time, it was true! It may be due for an update, although what that update should be I've no idea. It should be the same number of words or shorter.)

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I would just slip a generally in, like "government, generally located"

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
Fine by me, I have only not been playing Office of the President in many of my [Fed] decks due to my apparent (sure I am not the only one) misconception that is had to play as Espionage Mission and for me the 40 points wasn't worth the risk.

<knuckle-cracking sounds> Game on!

Not really sure why anyone but [Bor] would play it then.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
You'd LIKELY seed Espionage Mission for Strategema protection. (At least, that's why I do it!)

Strategema/Defend Homeworld protect only Starfleet affiliation at RDA.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:31 pm

In context, this sentence is from the same section of the rules that describes artifacts as "rare and precious objects with special powers" and events and incidents as representing "developments within the universe." We're just trying to give players a sense of what the cards do!

But the fact that Ablative Armor doesn't fit the broad definition of "portable tools and other devices" doesn't mean you can't play Ablative Armor as an equipment. Nor does the fact that outposts represent "operational bases on the frontiers of known space" mean you can't build a Federation Outpost at Reunion (quite the opposite of a frontier!).

In short, when a card overrides a general rule, follow the card. Headquarters in general represent the centers of government on each affiliation's homeworld. But OOTP says it can seed on Earth, so OOTP can seed on Research Devastating Attack.

(Also, this sentence about HQs was written well before Research Devastating Attack existed, so, at the time, it was true! It may be due for an update, although what that update should be I've no idea. It should be the same number of words or shorter.)
Yeah I'm not okay with that. If you are playing Federation HQ, you should be playing the Federation homeworld, and you should be ready for Locutus to show up and try to take over the planet.

Attempt to fix:
A headquarters may be seeded or built only on the specified homeworld matching its affiliation.

At first blush that doesn't really help, does it? Because the card still overrides the rule, and that is why you can seed Terran Rebellion HQ at terran hideout, because TRHQ says you can, and OOTP still says Earth. The problem is you need "Earth" on OOTP to mean "Espionage Mission" and I don't know how to do that without a glossary entry just to OOTP to spell that out, or an Errata to OOTP so say "Espionage Mission".
Card Page Glitches

So, it's seeming on some sets that the cards on th[…]

Question for noob

Awesome. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]