By Dukat (Andreas Rheinländer)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
1E German National Runner-Up 2024
Hi,

quick question ...

All three IDIC cards say 'may ATTEMPT', but what about solve?

In my book, those cards say that I can attempt any mission with the mentioned requirements, but I cannot solve them, if I do not have matching personnel.

Is there anything I am missing here?
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
IDIC [Inc]

If it doesn’t work, then neither does Collect Metaphasic Particles or any other [Obj] that provides alternative ways to do missions. Therefore, I choose to believe it works.

For the record, that wording has always bugged me as well.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Dukat wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:54 am Hi,

quick question ...

All three IDIC cards say 'may ATTEMPT', but what about solve?

In my book, those cards say that I can attempt any mission with the mentioned requirements, but I cannot solve them, if I do not have matching personnel.

Is there anything I am missing here?
Permission to attempt implies permission to solve unless another card/ rule denies such permission.

This is why if you play an espionage card in OTF on an opponent's mission of 35 or fewer points, you can attempt their mission, but you cannot solve it.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Armus wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:10 am
Permission to attempt implies permission to solve unless another card/ rule denies such permission.
Specifically, because you can't choose not to solve - you *must* solve a mission at the end of the attempt if you can.

Notice that all the cards that talk about solving either (a) are "when you solve" triggers - either generically or specific personnel, or (b) prohibitions. There aren't any (at least, there shouldn't be and I couldn't find any) that grant permission to "solve", because the action you're taking is "attempt".
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation