By Dukat (Andreas Rheinländer)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
1E German National Runner-Up 2024
Hi,

question about Magic Carpet Ride OCD ...

The Glossary entry says:
The owner of this artifact must use its game text immediately upon either player earning or acquiring the artifact. If there is no ship at the location to relocate, or if they choose not to do so, the artifact is discarded.
The card text says:
May seed at a space location. Owner may relocate any ship at this location (and ship's Away Teams, if any) to any planet location on spaceline. Discard artifact.
One does not sound like the other.
The Glossary entry simply does not seem to fit the card.

Any idea why?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Dukat wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:22 am Hi,

question about Magic Carpet Ride OCD ...

The Glossary entry says:
The owner of this artifact must use its game text immediately upon either player earning or acquiring the artifact. If there is no ship at the location to relocate, or if they choose not to do so, the artifact is discarded.
The card text says:
May seed at a space location. Owner may relocate any ship at this location (and ship's Away Teams, if any) to any planet location on spaceline. Discard artifact.
One does not sound like the other.
The Glossary entry simply does not seem to fit the card.

Any idea why?
They agree. Using the card at all is optional. However, if you're going to use it (and there's a valid target), you can *only* use it when it's earned - you can't save it for later.

By Dukat (Andreas Rheinländer)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
1E German National Runner-Up 2024
I don't understand how the gametext can even imply that it has to be used immediately.

Virtually all other artifacts actually use the term 'immediately'. This one does not, hence my bemusement.

In other words: How does the Glossary even reach that conclusion when other artifacts actually say WHEN the artifact has to be used, but this one does not?
Chief Programmer
By eberlems
 - Chief Programmer
 -  
Explorer
2E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E  National Second Runner-Up 2023
guess you'll have to ask decipher https://starshipexcelsior.com/othersite ... _10_99.pdf
page 34 wrote:The owner of this artifact must use its game text immediately upon
either player earning or acquiring the artifact. If there is no ship at
the location to relocate, or if he chooses not to do so, the artifact is
discarded. The relocation cannot be “saved” to use later.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Dukat wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:35 am I don't understand how the gametext can even imply that it has to be used immediately.

Virtually all other artifacts actually use the term 'immediately'. This one does not, hence my bemusement.

In other words: How does the Glossary even reach that conclusion when other artifacts actually say WHEN the artifact has to be used, but this one does not?
Look at it from the other side. Kurlan Naiskos, Pocketwatch, Time Travel Pod, and Tox Uthat all go to hand when earned and the card text says how and when it can be played later. OCD has no such text, so there's no implication it can go to hand to be played later, thus it must be played when earned.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation