By Dukat (Andreas Rheinländer)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
1E German National Runner-Up 2024
Hi guys,

I was recently confronted with the whole Black Hole thingy. It's been a while since I used it myself, so I just want to clarify how it works ...

1.) Seed Phase
Space can be inserted ANYWHERE (in the Alpha Quadrant), right? Including into regions?

That means the second card, that need to be adjacent, can also be inserted directly adjacent to the first one. (No matter where the first card was inserted.)

2.) Black Hole
Proceeding ...
Black Hole is played.
At the end of the NEXT turn, it destroys the Space location left of it.
After that, the countdown resets.

So bacically, the card stays there forever, because the countdown always resets, right?

Sorry for the dumb questions - it's a card that is barely used, perhaps because of all the work involved.
However, I did not want to tell the person who asked my something wrong; hence my questions here.

By VioletBlaze (Violet Edgar)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1) Correct. You can insert Space anywhere on the Alpha Quadrant spaceline, including within a region. (they don't count as that region though)

2) Yes again, Black Hole continues to suck in missions for as long as it's open. (The original card just had you count turns, the errata to use countdown icons retains that aspect)

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
VioletBlaze wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:16 am
2) Yes again, Black Hole continues to suck in missions for as long as it's open. (The original card just had you count turns, the errata to use countdown icons retains that aspect)
Almost. Black Hole doesn't count down the turn it's played, so the question as asked is a "no" ... however, after that initial turn it works as described.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Dukat wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:45 am Now I'm confused ...
Everything you said was correct EXCEPT that it doesn't countdown the turn it's played so its
- played. No countdown
- counts down
- countdown, sucks in mission, resets.

The easiest way to think about it I've found: if the turn it's played is considered turn 1, it's sucks on the odd turns. :P

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Just to clarify ...
Everything you said was correct EXCEPT that it doesn't countdown the turn it's played so its
- played. No countdown
- counts down
- countdown, sucks in mission, resets.
Let's say I play it.

That means ...

My turn: I play it. *
Opponents turn: *
My turn: Countdown, down to 1. *
Opponent's turn: *
My turn: Countdown; left mission (which is ❖ Space) is sucked in. Countdown reset to 2. *
My turn: Countdown; right mission (which is ❖ Space) is sucked in. Countdown rest to 2. *
My turn: Countdown: left mission (which is most likely a 'real' mission) is sucked in. Countdown rest to 2. *

And so on.

*Everything there is destroyed.

If Black Hole is at the 'outer edge' of the spaceline and there is no mission on the left, it will simply suck in missions on the right, is that correct?

(Sorry for asking to stupidly ... Black Hole always gave me a headache)

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
eberlems wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:52 pm Isn't there a
missing after sucking in missions?
Yes there is.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Dukat wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:45 pm
If Black Hole is at the 'outer edge' of the spaceline and there is no mission on the left, it will simply suck in missions on the right, is that correct?
This part is correct. So every time the countdown runs out, *something* gets schlorped, as long as there's a something left to schlorp.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
As I said ... headache ...

So it's ...

My turn: Countdown; left mission (which is ❖ Space) is sucked in. Countdown reset to 2. *

My turn: Countdown; right mission (which is ❖ Space) is sucked in. Countdown rest to 2. *

My turn: Countdown: left mission (which is most likely a 'real' mission) is sucked in. Countdown rest to 2. *

(And so on.)

Is it correct now?

(So if I play Black Hole in turn 1, turn 7 is the first one when a 'real' mission is sucked in.)

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Dukat wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:06 pm As I said ... headache ...

So it's ...

(And so on.)

Is it correct now?

(So if I play Black Hole in turn 1, turn 7 is the first one when a 'real' mission is sucked in.)
This looks correct. It's also one of the reasons that people combo it with Blade of Tkon: You can chuck an opponent's planet into the path of the black hole a lot sooner than that.
Question for noob

I still think I'm misunderstanding TMW. By saying […]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]