By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Stopped cards may not be beamed, move, walk, participate in an attack (they may battle defensively), staff an unstopped ship
I have to wonder, can they staff a stopped ship?

What led me to this question is The Neutral Zone. If my ship attempts a mission, fails, and the ship and everyone aboard is stopped, can I still daw a card for having a staffed ship?

By Enabran
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E Austrian National Second Runner-Up 2022
Ha! When I read that part of the rules, I had the same thought!

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
boromirofborg wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:20 pm
Stopped cards may not be beamed, move, walk, participate in an attack (they may battle defensively), staff an unstopped ship
I have to wonder, can they staff a stopped ship?

What led me to this question is The Neutral Zone. If my ship attempts a mission, fails, and the ship and everyone aboard is stopped, can I still daw a card for having a staffed ship?
Oops, I might have given the wrong answer the other day on this exact situation, but maybe not considering that the rules don't appear to address whether you can staff a stopped ship or eligibility of stopped personnel to do so.
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
I think that rule was specifically carified for Regent's Flagship, so that you could still get the draw after battle/mission attempts
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
My memory agrees with pfti's. *searches RC threads* Yep. Not certain what day it came out, but the discussion was in Sept. 2015. The reason they can staff a stopped ship is so that cards like Quantum Fissure and indeed The Neutral Zone work in the way players expect them to. The reason they can't staff an unstopped ship is because the rules committee deemed it a little unintuitive and a little too powerful if you could stop personnel for Study Divergent History and still get the
Pride of the Fleet draws at the end of the turn using those people as staffing.

Meanwhile, legally:
Clarifications: What Stopped Cards Can Do (10.2.1.0.1)
Stopped personnel may do anything they're not specifically prohibited from doing.
Which seems to answer the question.

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:54 pm My memory agrees with pfti's. *searches RC threads* Yep. Not certain what day it came out, but the discussion was in Sept. 2015. The reason they can staff a stopped ship is so that cards like Quantum Fissure and indeed The Neutral Zone work in the way players expect them to. The reason they can't staff an unstopped ship is because the rules committee deemed it a little unintuitive and a little too powerful if you could stop personnel for Study Divergent History and still get the
Pride of the Fleet draws at the end of the turn using those people as staffing.

Meanwhile, legally:
Clarifications: What Stopped Cards Can Do (10.2.1.0.1)
Stopped personnel may do anything they're not specifically prohibited from doing.
Which seems to answer the question.
I knew this "Stopped personnel may do anything they're not specifically prohibited from doing." and that's why I told someone that you can draw for The Neutral Zone even if the ship/crew is stopped.

What I didn't know was that there was a rule that stopped personnel couldn't staff unstopped ships and when I found that out I wondered if "unstopped" was just there because of weird wording or if it was meant to imply that stopped personnel can staff stopped ships.

I feel like saying "stopped personnel may only staff stopped ships" might be more to the point and less ambiguous, but I am sure opinions will vary.

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]

1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]