- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
With the Dixon Hill errata, I took another look at Dixon Hill's Business Card, and I noticed something odd about the Event half.
wrote: Printed card:
[1E-Evt] Plays on da table. The udda boss' next mug what shows up has gotta be univoisal or hologrammatical, den put dis card outta commission. (No duplicatin' dis here event.)

"Federation Standard" text from the glossary:
Event: Plays on table. The opponent's next personnel to report for duty must be universal or a holographic re-creation. Then place this card out-of-play. (Event is not duplicatable.)
  • Does "holographic re-creation" refer only to the 14 [Holo] cards with "re-recreation" in their lore?
  • Why not all [Holo]'s? That seems like the clearer translation.
  • One of those 14 cards is Captain Proton, but in this case, "holographic re-creation" seems to be referring to the holodeck program, not the Captain himself. Is that correct?
Also, in the glossary, the [HA] icon next to the entry title links to Dixon Hill, rather than his Business Card.

ETA: For what it's worth, the glossary's text goes back to the Fajo Collection rules supplement.
Last edited by tribble314 on Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:27 pm, edited 6 times in total.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
I always took it as "Hologrammatical" = [Holo].

But I'm a simple man. What the hell do I know?

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Your search link doesn't have the [Holo] check box checked. If you do a search for [Holo] cards with "recreation" in lore it comes up with 13 cards.

But I suspect that the answer is that [Holo] cards were called "Holographic Recreations" in early rules and that particular bit never got updated, aka PAQ/Fajo sloppiness surviving until today.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
tribble314 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:32 pm
winterflames wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:27 pm Your search link doesn't have the [Holo] check box checked. If you do a search for [Holo] cards with "recreation" in lore it comes up with 13 cards.
Ah, right, Captain Proton is a Tom Paris persona, so he's not a hologram anyway.
That in itself doesn't rule out his being a hologram.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
winterflames wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:27 pm But I suspect that the answer is that [Holo] cards were called "Holographic Recreations" in early rules and that particular bit never got updated, aka PAQ/Fajo sloppiness surviving until today.
This is correct.

The phrase "holographic re-creation" should be considered equivalent to " [Holo]". There's no rule about this, tough, because all the cards with the phrase "holographic re-creation" on them have been errata'd. But many generations of Rules People have missed the sneaky backdoor inclusion on Dixon Hill's Business Card.

Going on my list.
Also, in the glossary, the [HA] icon next to the entry title links to Dixon Hill, rather than his Business Card.
Whoops, THAT one is because of a bad regex when the Glossary was converted from a DOC file to an HTML file. Or possibly bad escaping when I converted the HTML to a SQL data load. Or possibly bad escaping when I wrote a PHP script to take the loaded data back out of the SQL database. :P

- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:36 pmThe phrase "holographic re-creation" should be considered equivalent to " [Holo]". There's no rule about this, tough, because all the cards with the phrase "holographic re-creation" on them have been errata'd. But many generations of Rules People have missed the sneaky backdoor inclusion on Dixon Hill's Business Card.

Going on my list.
That's what I hoped the answer was! It seemed odd to separate re-creations from other holos, but not out of the question.
BCSWowbagger wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:36 pmWhoops, THAT one is because of a bad regex when the Glossary was converted from a DOC file to an HTML file. Or possibly bad escaping when I converted the HTML to a SQL data load. Or possibly bad escaping when I wrote a PHP script to take the loaded data back out of the SQL database. :P
Mmm, yep, that make sense. It looks like every card with an apostrophe has the same problem, so the search engine does its best to find the right card.

One especially weird result: '45 Dom becomes a blank search field, and that returns Zyree! I'm assume that's because she's the last card alphabetically?
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
tribble314 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:25 pm One especially weird result: '45 Dom becomes a blank search field, and that returns Zyree! I'm assume that's because she's the last card alphabetically?
Yup! Since no one ever actually looks up Zyree, seeing Zyree usually means ya dun goofed.

I suspect that’s the usual forum badges you […]

Zwei Turniere und das schon im März ... Das L[…]

Is it now that we talk about the dream card forum?[…]

German Nationals 2024 (1E)

Done. Your complete decklist. Can't have your […]