By WeAreBack
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Two questions, one where the answer seems obvious, the other not so much.

First, "intelligence" is one of those funny words in English where the singular and the plural often look the same, at least in the context we are talking about here. (When you hear people talking about "intelligences" they are usually talking about human psychology, not different intelligence agencies.) If I play Mutual Distrust on the [Car] [1E-Rom] version of Enabran Tain, do I choose to target Obsidian Order OR Tal Shiar, or am I automatically targeting both? If I am targeting both, does that mean that I can't draw a card when I play either a personnel with Tal Shiar or Obsidian Order, (because their skill is not different from one of the two skills he has) or do I draw a card for both a personnel with Tal Shiar or Obsidian Order (because their skill is different from one of the two skills he has).

Since these cards were released in the same set, I'm pretty sure the answer is that you draw a card for either one (otherwise the card would be much clearer), but I want to be sure.

Second, I want to be sure I'm not missing something about how this card works because of the cumulative rule, even though it says it is cumulative. I don't think there should be any restriction on playing 3 copies of this card, each on a different personnel with Tal Shiar, and then when I play one personnel with Obsidian Order, I draw 3 cards -- one for each copy of Mutual Distrust targeting an intelligence skill other than Obsidian Order.

However, this does seem a like something that might be too good to be true, especially since no one seems to use this card. Is there some kind of limit that each Intelligence can only be targeted once - so you can have one copy of this card on a personnel with Klingon Intelligence, one on a personnel with Tal Shiar, one on a personnel with Obsidian Order and so on?

Or am I basically just predicting what the errata on this card is going to be once people start using it to draw 9 cards every turn by playing 3 personnel? (And yes, it's fairly easy to play this many personnel using free reporting mechanics and to still have ways of playing other cards left over).
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Oh, this card.

This card kept Rules up night and day for ages during development on The Gamma Quadrant, trying to find a 3-line wording that was both clear and correct, because it was a very important card that we were sure was going to see a lot of play right after release. Now I feel like Rules is the only group that remembers it exists -- because of those late nights!

With Tain (or any personnel with multiple intelligence skills), you play this on the personnel and then choose ONE of his intelligence skills as the target. So let's say you target his Tal Shiar.

Then, once each turn, when you play a Section 31 or V'Shar or Obsidian Order personnel, you draw a card.

If you play one copy of Mutual Distrust on 3 different Tal Shiar personnel (targeting their Tal Shiar), you draw 3 cards when you report an Obsidian Order personnel, yes. But this only happens once each turn, so you would need a lot more copies out in order to draw 9 cards with it in one turn.

If the targeted intelligence is lost (due to Frame of Mind or whatever), Mutual Distrust discards for loss of a long-term target.

By Enabran
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E Austrian National Second Runner-Up 2022
Is there a way to download it?
Card Page Glitches

So, it's seeming on some sets that the cards on th[…]

Question for noob

Awesome. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]