Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Glossary is pretty clear that hand weapons have to be [Equ] cards
A hand weapon is any Equipment card (or card "used as equipment") which is identified in its title or lore as a phaser, disruptor, blade weapon, or weapon (if it is clear from the lore, game text, and/or image that it is used as a hand weapon). Echo Papa 607 Killer Drone and Borg Nanoprobes are not hand weapons.
So no.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
pfti wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:39 am Glossary is pretty clear that hand weapons have to be [Equ] cards
A hand weapon is any Equipment card (or card "used as equipment") which is identified in its title or lore as a phaser, disruptor, blade weapon, or weapon (if it is clear from the lore, game text, and/or image that it is used as a hand weapon). Echo Papa 607 Killer Drone and Borg Nanoprobes are not hand weapons.
So no.
I think he was referring to Painstik, not Klingon Painstik

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Dukat wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:01 am Exactly ... talking about Painstik.
In the title and the question ;).

That question, indeed, still stands ;).

So ... opinions?
I'd say no since the glossary entry @pfti cited defines what a hand weapon is and Painstik doesn't meet any of those criteria.

Also, unlike PAQ cards, this card came out last year, with all of the modern wording conventions that the CC has adopted. Given how easy it would be to write lore saying "hand weapon" or similar, the fact that they wrote around it tells me that it was likely Design intent that it NOT be a hand weapon.

But maybe @Orbin , @OKCoyote , or one of the other Designers can confirm or refute that hypothesis...
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023

So ... opinions?

Whoops, forgot that was a card

By Mogor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:18 am

So ... opinions?
I'd say no since the glossary entry @pfti cited defines what a hand weapon is and Painstik doesn't meet any of those criteria.

Also, unlike PAQ cards, this card came out last year, with all of the modern wording conventions that the CC has adopted. Given how easy it would be to write lore saying "hand weapon" or similar, the fact that they wrote around it tells me that it was likely Design intent that it NOT be a hand weapon.

But maybe @Orbin , @OKCoyote , or one of the other Designers can confirm or refute that hypothesis...
Would love to hear from the designers as to all intents and purposes that looks like a weapon to me. Even if I had my choice, I would make it cause non-lethal battles :P

By Orbin (James Monsebroten)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
If I'm remembering correctly it was not intended to be a hand weapon. I'll see if I can dig up any notes to support this.

-James M
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
When Creative asked, Design was okay with making it a hand weapon if there was an appropriate story for it, but Creative ultimately opted for a non-hand-weapon lore.
Question for noob

I still think I'm misunderstanding TMW. By saying […]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]