Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
1E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Is "recreation" one of the terms that bestows a characteristic? (I don't remember it being one, but I've been known to be forgetful.)

The rulebook says:
Holographic personnel always have the species "hologram". This overrides all other card features, including affiliation, appearance, subcommand icons, and lore. [Holo] Holograms can only be holograms; they cannot be mixed-race.

By patrick (Patrick Weijers)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Tomek is not Romulan species, since holograms are always species "Hologram". (And that appears to be what the characteristic on the website is for.)

But do you need him to be Romulan for some other card? (Since he is, because of his affiliation.)
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
The rules make it clear he isn't. But that rule was also written before we clarified that pretending to be something grants the characteristic, so it could be revisited (but the text posted above makes it explicitly clear why he is not a Romulan).

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
pfti wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:17 am The rules make it clear he isn't. But that rule was also written before we clarified that pretending to be something grants the characteristic, so it could be revisited (but the text posted above makes it explicitly clear why he is not a Romulan).
He's a Hologram species because of [Holo] .

He's NOT Romulan species because of the holo species rule.

He IS Romulan because of [1E-Rom] .

Clear as mud, right? :P

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Ah yes, I had forgotten that part of the rules. (Which is arguable tre-sense, but that's a different matter.)

Of course it's complicated by the lore stating that Tomek and Jera aren't actually holograms, but that's yet another can of worms. Thanks!

By WeAreBack
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I've been of the view that Rules should revisit this one. Hologram should either be regarded as a characteristic, like Augment, and not a species, or should be regarded as an additional species.

That is we have human augments, like Persis and Klingon augments, like Marab. And we have Deanna Troi is regarded as both Betazoid and Human.

The main problem the current version of the rule causes is with Kolinahr. As it is, I have to discard this card if I play Revised Tuvok despite him being quite cold-bloodedly logical, or Sumek -- whose lore actually says he's a hologram based on a Vulcna- because they don't count as a Vulcan. Nor can I use the second function of Holoprogram: 221B Baker Street in such a deck for the same reason -- the copy of T'Pol I put on that card makes my copy of T'Pol in play no longer a Vulcan.

There are only a couple of cards that wouldn't make "trek sense" under this ruling, both from the [OS] era: Dikironium Cloud Creature and M-113 Creature. These single out humans because one is a salt sucker and the other loves to eat iron in the blood (although I believe pretty much every species with blood other than Vulcans and Romulans has iron-based blood). A simple fix would be to change these both to "non- [Holo] humans."

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I can get behind the [Holo] =Hologram AND other if specified. That way you can still have Just Hologram personnel, but you get to ignore Default species. Right now, there are no [Holo] cards with Human in lore.

Correction: sir issac, einstein
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation