By WeAreBack
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Aside from the way that dilemmas affect a crew when using Distant Control for an attempt, I think Temporal Benefactor has got to be one of the cards with knottiest rules possibilities, just because there are so many possible benefactors and temporal agents that they affect.

I was recently trying to build a deck where I could use The Art of Diplomacy to download a hand weapon to a treachery x2 personnel on Turn 1. There are obviously a few good candidates out there who have this naturally: Theleve imperonsator, Excalbian Zora and Excalbian Green, or Khan seeded with to rule in hell or cold Station 12.

And there are and a few way to get there using temporal benefactor, like Lt. McGivers as the temporal benefactor for a seeded Khan Noonien Singh.

Then I noticed that The Keeper has treachery and he mentions Vina in lore. Couldn't I make Vina my temporal benefactor, select treachery as her skill at the start of turn 1, such that this "regular skill" on my benefactor would be transmitted to the Keeper, as her temporal agent?

That is, while most non-regular skills on a temporal benefactor are useless because they aren't transmitted to the benefactor's temporal agents, this ability actually affects Vina's regular skills, which goes to the heart of what she is doing as a benefactor.

As an aside, I think the omission of the word "regular" in front of "skills" on this card trips up new players (it certainly tripped me up when I came back to the game.) One thing that might make this card (slightly) more straightforward is an errata to the lore of Timepod Ring so that it contains "temporal agent", which would make some room on Temporal Benefactor so that -- like Borg Vinculum and One -- this card could say"regular skills" instead of just "skills."
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Alas, you can only gain regular skills (see the bolded text for the relevant stuff)
the glossary wrote:Selecting, Adding, Gaining, Doubling, and Sharing Skills
When a card allows you to select (e.g., K'chiQ, Lal, Reflection Therapy, Frame of Mind), add (e.g.,Vulcan Mindmeld), double (e.g., Ishka), or share (e.g., Interlink Drone) personnel skills, you may select, add, double, or share only regular skills. If a skill is already present in the skills box, the level of that skill is increased; skills not already present in the skills box are conceptually added to the end of the skills box for purposes of cards such as Fightin' Words. For example, if Lt. D'Amato (Geology x2, Archaeology) adds Geology with a Classic Tricorder, his skills will be Geology x3, Archaeology; if instead he adds Physics, his skills will be Geology x2, Archaeology, Physics.

Selected or shared features or skills do not exist until you have reported the personnel for duty. See reporting for duty, skill-sharing.

When adding or doubling skills (or replacing one personnel's skills with another's, as with Impersonate Captive), skill multipliers are retained. For example, if Sarek mindmelds with Riva, Sarek would have the following skills: Diplomacy x5, Mindmeld. (See Vulcan Mindmeld [link to card].) Gaining is equivalent to adding.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Can you even use Vina’s dial-a-skill if she’s the Temporal Benefactor? She’s only in play for uniqueness purposes only.

I would rule that Rulebook 10.2.8 says no.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:02 am Can you even use Vina’s dial-a-skill if she’s the Temporal Benefactor? She’s only in play for uniqueness purposes only.

I would rule that Rulebook 10.2.8 says no.
This is the correct take. The only things that matter on a Benefactor are the one- and two-word [SD] Regular Skills.

(Well, and title, for Uniqueness, and Lore references, but you get the point...)

[DL] and [SD] Long non-regular skills are irrelevant. :borg:
Card Page Glitches

So, it's seeming on some sets that the cards on th[…]

Question for noob

Awesome. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]