By VioletBlaze (Violet Edgar)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Dukat wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:12 pm Hi guys,

how do White Deprivation and Strategema interact?

What happens if both are on table and there are Jemmies and opponent's personnel matching their homeworld's affiliation at their homeworld.

Do the Jemmies attack, still?
I don't think so. Usually cards that say you can't do a thing overrule cards that say you can. Though I could be wrong.

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
I believe they would still attack. Lacking an opposing force that they may engage, I believe they would then attack amongst themselves. If that matching personnel were to some how be removed from that force, then the remaining non-matching force would be fair game, though.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
JeBuS wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:35 pm Strategema's restriction is more specific than White's effect, so Strategema wins.
I'm not sure this fully answers the question though. Wouldn't they still have to battle each other?

IOW, does Strategema create a situation that triggers the "if none" clause on WD? And what if it's a mixed force your opponent has... can the Jemmies still attack the non-matching personnel (similar to excluding the non-changelings)?

I think this question is a bit more complex than it first appears.
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
I don't see the complication. If my force matches the homeworld, you can't initiate a battle against them. Strategema doesn't prevent you from attacking your own cards, ever.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
JeBuS wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:11 pm I don't see the complication. If my force matches the homeworld, you can't initiate a battle against them. Strategema doesn't prevent you from attacking your own cards, ever.
So what if my force contains a changeling? It's pretty strongly implied that the changeling can be excluded from the battle and the rest of the people can get sliced and diced... why would that implication not extend to non-matching personnel?

This is probably an artifact of WD's wording being from a time before the concept of "a force" is as clearly defined in the rules as it is today, and probably needs a little cleanup clarification.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
I'm pretty sure you don't fall through to the "attack themselves" clause, because White Dep doesn't say "if you can't", it says "if none" and they are there.

Not sure on whether White or Strat takes precedence, though. (Leaning towards Strat, purely on "don't let the loophole work" grounds.)
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
Armus wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:27 pm
JeBuS wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:11 pm I don't see the complication. If my force matches the homeworld, you can't initiate a battle against them. Strategema doesn't prevent you from attacking your own cards, ever.
So what if my force contains a changeling? It's pretty strongly implied that the changeling can be excluded from the battle and the rest of the people can get sliced and diced... why would that implication not extend to non-matching personnel?

This is probably an artifact of WD's wording being from a time before the concept of "a force" is as clearly defined in the rules as it is today, and probably needs a little cleanup clarification.
Was anyone arguing that they should attack themselves? There's no logic path on White that says they should, so why would they?
Card of the Day: Dumb Waiter

Does Dumb Waiter still work if you don't com[…]

I just booked my flight for Thursday afternoon a[…]

Vulcan Observation icons

That's what I thought. I think the card may not b[…]

New Tribbles are coming! Look busy! https://www.t[…]