By WeAreBack
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Since Orb of Prophecy and Change is about to become a much more common card, I was taking a look at it and trying to figure out exactly how it would work once I got it in play.

Since the card play takes place during the play phase, not the execute orders phase, I have to have everything set up in the correct places for my card play at the end of the prior turn.

I understand the “here” in the phrase “one of your cards played here plays for free” to mean at the same space line (or time) location that the orb is. So if the orb is stuck somewhere— say on a planet where it can’t currently be beamed up to my outpost — or at a site at a Nor other than the one where I want the free play to occur, this phrase is not a problem.

However, the next part of the sentence confuses me a bit: “plays for free if your [Orb] personnel present.”

Does the [Orb] personnel need to be present with the orb?
Or present where the card play is occurring?
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Breaking down Orb of Wisdom.

Use as Equipment card. Your personnel here are each INTEGRITY +3.

According to the Glossary, here means:
An ability that takes place "here" (or "there") can be anywhere at that spaceline or time location (on the planet, aboard a ship in orbit, on a facility).

There is one exception: on a site card, facility card, or card that plays on a facility or site, "here" means present with that card.
Now, the next line says

Each turn, one of your cards played here plays for free if your [Orb] personnel present. (Not duplicatable.)

I think this means that the [Orb] personnel must be present with the Orb of Wisdom, but the location of the free play can be anywhere at the spaceline location the Orb is at.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:30 pm Breaking down Orb of Wisdom.

Use as Equipment card. Your personnel here are each INTEGRITY +3.

According to the Glossary, here means:
An ability that takes place "here" (or "there") can be anywhere at that spaceline or time location (on the planet, aboard a ship in orbit, on a facility).

There is one exception: on a site card, facility card, or card that plays on a facility or site, "here" means present with that card.
Now, the next line says

Each turn, one of your cards played here plays for free if your [Orb] personnel present. (Not duplicatable.)

I think this means that the [Orb] personnel must be present with the Orb of Wisdom, but the location of the free play can be anywhere at the spaceline location the Orb is at.
That is how I've always read it as well. orb/ [Orb] person present, but report goes to anywhere at the location. Pretty much needs to work that way if you want your free play to be, say, a ship in orbit at your headquarters

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
eberlems wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:07 am Bit crazy that the orb does not limit the free play to certain card types like personnel.
Not really. It's an Artifact. Artifacts are supposed to do cool, strong things because you have to solve a mission or jump through other hoops to get them.
Temporal Benefactor questions

1 - in a tournament, can I have a stack of differe[…]

First: Michael Burnham Last: Saru

So with the new version of The Final Frontier , i[…]

FIRST pair? You got more cooking? I am hoping t[…]