By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
So, this game up in a "practice game" I was playing against myself.

Four [Dom] ships attacked The Great Hall, and the [Kli] player discarded To Be Or Not To Be to damage all ships in that battle. The [Kli] player was using a Battle Bridge and doled out default damage of two tactics to all four [Dom] ships.

What happens if the tactic kills the only leader on a ship? At some point during initiation of a battle you select which ships are attacking which targets, and you must verify there is a leader on board.

TBONTB is a "just" reaction that afters AFTER initiation of the battle. So it starts doling out damage after the [Dom] player has already verified they have a matching personnel and a leader aboard. Now that leader gets killed.

Can that ship continue in the battle and fire its weapons, since the leader was already verified in initiation?

If not, is the ship stopped because it still participated in the battle, or is it "kicked out" of the battle and not stopped?

What if the personnel killed was the only personnel aboard and the ship is empty after the tactic hits?

What if personnel removed is the ship's matching commander, and I have Captain's Log in play? (Assume the ship still has a leader and matching personnel aboard.) I'm pretty sure in this case the ship loses the CL bonus because ATTACK total is added up later in the battle.

OH let me add this too: If I'm returning fire, (there are [Kli] ships at The great Hall) do I have to select my target before I discard TBONTB to dole out damage? I'm pretty sure that is a YES because initiation includes selecting targets for return fire which would happen before you can discard TOBONTB.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Takket wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:30 pm So, this game up in a "practice game" I was playing against myself.

Four [Dom] ships attacked The Great Hall, and the [Kli] player discarded To Be Or Not To Be to damage all ships in that battle. The [Kli] player was using a Battle Bridge and doled out default damage of two tactics to all four [Dom] ships.

What happens if the tactic kills the only leader on a ship? At some point during initiation of a battle you select which ships are attacking which targets, and you must verify there is a leader on board.

TBONTB is a "just" reaction that afters AFTER initiation of the battle. So it starts doling out damage after the [Dom] player has already verified they have a matching personnel and a leader aboard. Now that leader gets killed.

Can that ship continue in the battle and fire its weapons, since the leader was already verified in initiation?

If not, is the ship stopped because it still participated in the battle, or is it "kicked out" of the battle and not stopped?

What if the personnel killed was the only personnel aboard and the ship is empty after the tactic hits?

What if personnel removed is the ship's matching commander, and I have Captain's Log in play? (Assume the ship still has a leader and matching personnel aboard.) I'm pretty sure in this case the ship loses the CL bonus because ATTACK total is added up later in the battle.
Funny story: I used to think this is how TBONTB worked too, and I even had General Chang in my 2002 Worlds deck (a [Hir] deck) to use this against Armadas to kill people on the ship and cause that ship to not participate in the battle by killing off their staffing with tactic damage. It worked in at least a couple games that Worlds Weekend too!

Except one thing.... that's NOT how TBONTB works!

"Just after a battle your opponent initiated" actually means it's a just action that happens in response to the battle ending, not beginning. It should really read "...just after a battle your opponent initiated ends, to damage..." but I'm guessing they ran out of card text real estate.

So the actual answer to your question is, the 4 [Dom] ships all shoot the Great Hall, full damage is applied, and then after all of that gets sorted, you can pop TBONTB to damage all of the ships involved, flip tactics, kill people, etc., but only after the figurative AND literal damage from the battle has been done.

Hope that helps! :cheersL:

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
score one for "actually reading" the card. All the times I've read this I've always moved the words around in my mind so the card read "May discard event just after you opponent initiated a battle."

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
What if it was my other ship at that location which was attacked? Could it return fire then?
Chief Programmer
By eberlems
 - Chief Programmer
 -  
Explorer
2E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E  National Second Runner-Up 2023
Dukat wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:00 am
Takket wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:14 am Follow up: Can a cloaked I.K.C. Kla'Diyus return fire? It says it can initiate battle, but not return fire.
In order to return fire, it must be attacked first.

How would one attack a cloaked ship?
La Forge Maneuver could be possible, but it doesn't see play that often.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
winterflames wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:18 am What if it was my other ship at that location which was attacked? Could it return fire then?
Yeah that’s the situation I saw. Kla’diyus was cloaked at The Great Hall. A fleet attacked The Great Hall. Return fire let’s me fire back with all the assets I have there. Assuming they have WEAPONS.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Takket wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:47 am
winterflames wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:18 am What if it was my other ship at that location which was attacked? Could it return fire then?
Yeah that’s the situation I saw. Kla’diyus was cloaked at The Great Hall. A fleet attacked The Great Hall. Return fire let’s me fire back with all the assets I have there. Assuming they have WEAPONS.
Ah but there's the rub: Cloaked ships aren't 'there'...
Deck Design Strategy

I agree with @stressedoutatumc . The way I like[…]

I get the FL 100-0....game over in 10 minutes due […]

The deck qualifies, but the tournament currently[…]

Yes your 5-three cost and 1-five cost were r[…]