By Darmok501
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Must there be a non-aligned personnel aboard a non-aligned ship in order to use it or can there be a crew without any non-aligned personal? For example, Gomtuu requires two empathy to staff, but also states that Tam Elbrun is it commander. Can he staff Gomtuu alone with his two empathy or would he require a non-aligned person with him? Thanks.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Darmok501 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:00 am Must there be a non-aligned personnel aboard a non-aligned ship in order to use it or can there be a crew without any non-aligned personal? For example, Gomtuu requires two empathy to staff, but also states that Tam Elbrun is it commander. Can he staff Gomtuu alone with his two empathy or would he require a non-aligned person with him? Thanks.
Yup. Need at least one matching color personnel, just like any other affiliation.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Darmok501 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:25 am Is the same true for outpost. Only non-aligned personnel can report to a non-aligned outpost? What about neutral ships or outposts? Thanks.
In general, other affiliations are compatible with [NA] facilities and may report there as long as it doesn't create a house arrest situation* (e.g., both [Fed] and [Kli] are compatible with a [NA] outpost, but you can't play a [Fed] person there if you already have a [Kli] Personnel there because they aren't compatible with each other absent a Fed/Kli treaty).

Compatible = can work together
Matching = same color only

You can report compatible personnel to an outpost, but you need a matching personnel to fly a ship.

Does that help at all?

*Then there's Repurposed Outpost as the exception case because by its own text it doesn't allow aligned cards to report, but it's just that: the exception.

By WeAreBack
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Was non-aligned always treated as an affiliation in all respects like this? This question reminds me of the PAQ days when I don't think we enforced a rule that you needed a non-aligned personnel to staff a non-aligned ship.

I may have been playing the game wrong (I was 10 afterall) but I think prior to the widespread introduction of [NA] on missions and other attibutes of looking more like a full fledged affiliation, we thought of non-aligned as more the absence of an affiliation, so we would put a couple of [1E-Rom] on a Combat Vessel to fly it.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
WeAreBack wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:29 pm Was non-aligned always treated as an affiliation in all respects like this? This question reminds me of the PAQ days when I don't think we enforced a rule that you needed a non-aligned personnel to staff a non-aligned ship.

I may have been playing the game wrong (I was 10 afterall) but I think prior to the widespread introduction of [NA] on missions and other attibutes of looking more like a full fledged affiliation, we thought of non-aligned as more the absence of an affiliation, so we would put a couple of [1E-Rom] on a Combat Vessel to fly it.
Once upon a time that was correct. I think NA became a proper affiliation sometime around First Contact/OTSD/DS9 era.

By WeAreBack
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Yeah, the current rule does have some borderline dumb results though. Let's say I have a couple of my [1E-DQ] [Holo] people on the Olarra. For simplicity's sake, let's say Sumek, and Weiss.

I decided they need help from one of their evil friends: Revised Janeway.

Of course in order to have revised Janeway join the crew, the Olara has to be put into [NA] mode, and my two [Fed] [Hir] personnel have to be put into [Fed] mode.

So now, they can't fly the ship anymore.

Even playing Children of Light deosn't fix this problem. While this would allow me to put Sumek and Weiss back into [Hir] mode, I still can't take the ship and put it back into [Hir] mode because it would be incompatible with revised Janeway.

So you have to play Chaotica or some other non-aligned person in order to fly the ship now.

The old rule made much more intuitive sense, even if it meant an "exception" to the normal rule about needing a matching personnel.
NE Oklahoma, SE Kansas?

Awww, shucks! Glad you’re in a bigger area.[…]

I didn't want to knock anyone's choice while votin[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Stefan Manz !

Good mornin' lad (ie) s, just got me thinking: […]