By Dukat (Andreas Rheinländer)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
1E German National Runner-Up 2024
Hi guys,

quick question …

When a self-controlled dilemma that I seeded is attacking my ships, whose tactic deck is used?
My opponent’s?

Also, regarding Assimilated Vessel.
If I encounter my own copy and it leaves play, do I score the points or my opponent?

And what about a copy downloaded by my own Obsession?

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
Dukat wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:01 am Hi guys,

quick question …

When a self-controlled dilemma that I seeded is attacking my ships, whose tactic deck is used?
My opponent’s?
From the Glossary:

... When battling a [Self] card, players use standard attack and damage rules. [Self] cards do not use either player's Tactic cards; thus, your ships and facilities it hits suffer default damage (two damage markers for a hit, four for a direct hit) if your opponent is using a Battle Bridge side deck, or card rotation damage if they are not...
Also, regarding Assimilated Vessel.
If I encounter my own copy and it leaves play, do I score the points or my opponent?
If you encounter your own AV, your opponent is the opponent, and they score the points, and you get nothing if you destroy it.
And what about a copy downloaded by my own Obsession?
Same as above, your opponent would score the points, but at least in this case you would score 13 points for destroying it. So IMHO the risk of giving your opponent 10 points or you scoring 13, a 23 point swing, makes this a bad Obsession choice.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
That's right. They just move along home. I think that makes them a bad choice for the download.

Altogether, The Sheliak are an interesting combination with Obsession because you can either use them to hit your opponent's mission or you can get points off of them, but not both. Makes for fun in-game choices.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Does that mean that when downloading The Sheliak, my opponent cannot chose the spaceline end?

On another matter, I asked the wrong question.

What I meant is ... if I attack my opponent's self-dilemma, are his damage markers being used? (Given my opponent has a Battle Bridge Side Deck)

And are my opponent's damage markers being used when I attack my own self-dilemma and receive damage?

By Enabran
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E Austrian National Second Runner-Up 2022
So ein Dilemma gehört praktisch niemandem. Es kommt auf den Angreifer an.
Wenn du es angreifst nimmst du deine Taktik Karten und das Ding nimmt niemals welche.
Triffst du es bekommt es deine Damagemarker, trifft es dich, bekommst du Default damage. Entweder du drehst dein Schiff, oder dein Gegner gibt dir 2 [Flip]

Greift es den Gegner an, dann nimmt er seine Taktikkarten zur Verteidigung, wenn er welche hat und bekommt von dir [Flip] wenn es Schaden macht.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E Austrian National Runner-Up 2023
1E German National Second Runner-Up 2024
Let´s say I attack a planet Killer with two ships with weapons 10 each + tactic card bonus.
The planet Killer returns fire on both of my ships with shields 9 each.
The rules say the tactic bonus only applies to one ship for the attack.
"Compute the target's DEFENSE total by adding the SHIELDS of the single targeted card (including any applicable attribute enhancements, such as Nutational Shields), plus 50% of the SHIELDS of the facility the target is docked at (if any), plus the DEFENSE bonus from the force's current tactic (if any)."
Does that mean I can add the tactic to both ships or only one?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Rancour@gmx.de wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:56 am Let´s say I attack a planet Killer with two ships with weapons 10 each + tactic card bonus.
The planet Killer returns fire on both of my ships with shields 9 each.
The rules say the tactic bonus only applies to one ship for the attack.
"Compute the target's DEFENSE total by adding the SHIELDS of the single targeted card (including any applicable attribute enhancements, such as Nutational Shields), plus 50% of the SHIELDS of the facility the target is docked at (if any), plus the DEFENSE bonus from the force's current tactic (if any)."
Does that mean I can add the tactic to both ships or only one?
For attack purposes, you add the attack bonus to your total weapons. For defense purposes, you resolve the planet killer attacks on your ships one at a time since they're each targeted separately. In each case, you add the defense total to your ship's shields.

At least that's how I think it's supposed to work.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Dumb follow-up question ...

When attacking a self-dilemma: Does it fire back using its weapons?

Or does it only use its weapons when attacking, according to its gametext?

The Glossary does not say anything about that.

(The Glossary only says ...
When battling a [Self] card, players use standard attack and damage rules.
So it says players. It does not say anything about the card itself.)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Nice try, Andreas. The self controlling dilemmas have their weapons and special texts, which must be obeyed. The damage they do, comes from your possible BB or opponent, as appropriate. But no attack bonuses from dilemmas...

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Dukat wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:16 am The still unanswered question is the one about self-dilemmas using their weapons to return fire during battle, when I attack such a card.

Nothing in the Glossary/Rulebook about that =/.
It's in there, you just needed to read down another couple of paragraphs:
If you have "unstopped" ships at the location of a [Self] card during your turn, they may attack the card. It will return fire against all ships (and facilities) that attacked it, but not other targets that were not involved in the attack. The battle is conducted according to normal ship battle rules, with the exception that the [Self] dilemma fires on multiple targets (see Rulebook 7.4.3: Ship Battle: Multiplexing & Multiple Targets). Hits, direct hits, and damage to the card are calculated and applied as if it were a ship.
You poke a space bear, don't be surprised when the space bear pokes you back!

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Arrr ... I actually completely skipped that part of the Glossary entry.
When I just looked it up, I noticed that.

Thanks for helping the old man.

So no space bear poking.
Unless it's some naughty space bear and he likes it, but different story, I guess :D.

By Enabran
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E Austrian National Second Runner-Up 2022
Once, years ago, you could only have 1 [Self] on the spaceline and your opponent could only have 1 [Self] .
Now the spaceline could be spammed with [Self]. As long as the dilemma itself doesn't say it is unique.

MW for doctorjoya over tykajada 35-0. GG! :cheers[…]

The sacred cow in 1E for me is: Not Oversimplifiyi[…]

@Rancour@gmx.de @Gul Dakar Florian gets the F[…]

Deck Design Strategy

And just to add to the overall discussion, coming […]