By Borg King
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I couldn't find any clarification in the glossary about when points from a mission attempt are received, but the rulebook states that points are scored when you solve the mission. I was wondering how this works in relation to Trycyanate Poisoning?

Let's assume a player is attempting a 30 point mission with Trycyanate Poisoning in play on it.

If the attempting player completes the mission, do they score 0 points?

OR

Does the solving player complete the mission scoring 30 points but those points don't count until Trycyanate Poisoning leaves play?

:borg:
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Point value changes don't matter once the points are scored (unless it specifically calls out that it does), so if you solve a mission while it's worth 0, you score 0. The fact that it changes back to 30 later doesn't matter.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:06 am Point value changes don't matter once the points are scored (unless it specifically calls out that it does), so if you solve a mission while it's worth 0, you score 0. The fact that it changes back to 30 later doesn't matter.
Is that true in all cases though?

I thought Hero of the Empire retroactively applied to completed [Kli] missions, but it's possible I'm wrong on that.
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:11 am
AllenGould wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:06 am Point value changes don't matter once the points are scored (unless it specifically calls out that it does), so if you solve a mission while it's worth 0, you score 0. The fact that it changes back to 30 later doesn't matter.

I thought Hero of the Empire retroactively applied to completed [Kli] missions, but it's possible I'm wrong on that.
I believe that's what the "solved this game" text is trying to do. (Also mumble mumble Decipher timeline disruption)
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Armus wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:11 am

The glossary explicitly calls this out as an exception due to time travel

By WeAreBack
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Borg King wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:21 pm Let's assume a player is attempting a 30 point mission with Trycyanate Poisoning in play on it.
A key aspect of this card is that when the crew/away team "fails" to have the requirements of the nearby mission, the phrase "unless" in the game text trips an effect that stops the entire group of personnel attempting the mission. There's no way to place the dilemma on the mission and then blunder into a situation of: "oops, I kept going and scored 0 points!"
You would need to attempt the mission again.

There's only one card in the game that can force you to attempt any mission: Issue Secret Orders, which is pretty tough for your opponent top use on you.

So basically, when Tricyanate Poisoning's condition is tripped and ends up on the mission, the safe bet is to stop attempting. Of course, if there are still dilemmas left under the mission, you can keep going even with the point value set to zero, so long as you don't actually solve it. This would typically mean just attempting with personnel that lacks the skills and attributes needed to complete the mission.

Of course, a player who was truly diabolical could put Lack of Preparation behind Tricyanate Poisoning, so that you lose ten points when you're making an attempt but trying not to accidentally solve....
 -  
Community Contributor
sekce31 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:22 pm Additional question about Tricyanate Poisoning. How does this dilemma work on a mission that is both [1E-P] [1E-S] ? Either on mission such as Deliver Supplies or if preceeded by e.g. Buried Alive.

Is the dilemma not applicable or both conditions apply or you can choose which mission requirements you qualify for or? Thank you for an explanation.
You'd read it as written - because you're at both space and planet, you can pass using either requirement. (tl;dr - don't seed it at duals, it's easier :) )
Question for noob

That's the question. The Isolinear Rods downloads […]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]