-  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
OK, I think I get the debate.

Let's imagine there's a new mission:

Cadet's First Mission
[P] - [Any affiliation] [10]
And the requirement's box is blank.

How would we treat this card if it was printed today?

I would say based on the existing rules, as long as you had an away team of at least one personnel attempt it, you could solve it.

And Dixion Hill makes any mission like that.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
boromirofborg wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:29 pm OK, I think I get the debate.

Let's imagine there's a new mission:

Cadet's First Mission
[P] - [Any affiliation] [10]
And the requirement's box is blank.

How would we treat this card if it was printed today?
With errata, because someone screwed up.

If the intention was to do a Q's Planet style mission, it would have "Any personnel" for requirements.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
If I understood JeBuS's question correctly, it's equivalent to asking "what happens if you hit Tricyanate Poisoning at a planet and the closest space mission is a universal Space or Nebula." Is it auto-pass (there are no requirements, so you automatically satisfy them) or auto-fail (you cannot meet a requirement that does not exist). I'm quite confident the first answer is the right one.
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
Rachmaninoff wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:37 pm If I understood JeBuS's question correctly, it's equivalent to asking "what happens if you hit Tricyanate Poisoning at a planet and the closest space mission is a universal Space or Nebula." Is it auto-pass (there are no requirements, so you automatically satisfy them) or auto-fail (you cannot meet a requirement that does not exist). I'm quite confident the first answer is the right one.
I hadn't even considered that scenario, but yes, that's equivalent.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
JeBuS wrote:I hadn't even considered that scenario, but yes, that's equivalent.
:thumbsup: This probably says more about me than anything else, but these kind of rules questions always make me suspicious that someone wants to try something tricky, and wants to find out if it works without revealing their tech by asking an equivalent but innocent-sounding question!

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Rachmaninoff wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:52 pm
:thumbsup: This probably says more about me than anything else, but these kind of rules questions always make me suspicious that someone wants to try something tricky, and wants to find out if it works without revealing their tech by asking an equivalent but innocent-sounding question!
Oh he's totally doing that, just not the scenario you mentioned... :shifty:
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
Armus wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:00 pm
Yeah, both can be true. :shifty:

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
:D Actually the first trick that came to my mind was Whale Infestation but with Lack of Preparation, with the goal of making your opponent lose infinite points. But I don't think that would work regardless of the answer to this question, since LoP refers to "start of mission attempt" which isn't valid in a Nebula encounter. (Or is it? Perhaps the same question could be asked of that kind of text, if there is no mission attempt could you have met skills at its start? :shifty: :shifty: )

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Rachmaninoff wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:08 pm

:D Actually the first trick that came to my mind was Whale Infestation but with Lack of Preparation, with the goal of making your opponent lose infinite points. But I don't think that would work regardless of the answer to this question, since LoP refers to "start of mission attempt" which isn't valid in a Nebula encounter. (Or is it? Perhaps the same question could be asked of that kind of text, if there is no mission attempt could you have met skills at its start? :shifty: :shifty: )
I don't think Lack of Prep does anything against a non-Borg player at a Nebula if it gets faced by its own text, as there's no mission attempt to evaluate. I would think it would just discard.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:25 pm I don't think Lack of Prep does anything against a non-Borg player at a Nebula if it gets faced by its own text, as there's no mission attempt to evaluate. I would think it would just discard.
Agreed -- and that's why I changed my example to Tricyanate -- but given the nature of the original question (if there are no requirements, did you meet them or not?) you can formulate a competing argument. If the condition of Lack of Prep is "you met the mission requirements when you started the attempt", and there is no attempt, is this condition automatically satisfied or automatically failed (after all, you DIDN'T "meet conditions at the start of an attempt" because there is no attempt ). I don't agree with this interpretation, and consider this one more reason to treat vacuous statements as true rather than false.

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
Takket wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:51 pm
jadziadax8 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:53 am I didn't realize that "that's dumb" is a valid argument in 1E.
Nullifies Parallax Arguers
That's a stupid question!

Another achievement cycle, another no-update of ne[…]

I know that, when this was ruled, it was intended[…]

Deck Design Strategy

I agree with @stressedoutatumc . The way I like[…]

I get the FL 100-0....game over in 10 minutes due […]