Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
I just noticed the Glossary entry on zero.

I was just talking to my students about this *today*. I shall inform them of this development forthwith.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
It baffles me how zero being even or odd is a matter of any controversy whatsoever. It literally follows directly from the definition of an even number.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
nobthehobbit wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:31 am It baffles me how zero being even or odd is a matter of any controversy whatsoever. It literally follows directly from the definition of an even number.
Mathematically, it's neither even nor odd. It has ✶ .
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:19 am
nobthehobbit wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:31 am It baffles me how zero being even or odd is a matter of any controversy whatsoever. It literally follows directly from the definition of an even number.
Weird, because everything I look at says it's even - integer multiple of two, neighbored by odd numbers, can't be written as 2m+1... I couldn't even find a link to "0 is odd" that wasn't a rebuttal.

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
AllenGould wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:03 am Weird, because everything I look at says it's even - integer multiple of two, neighbored by odd numbers, can't be written as 2m+1... I couldn't even find a link to "0 is odd" that wasn't a rebuttal.
I don't think anyone is arguing that it is odd. It clearly isn't. But I would argue it also fails the most basic qualification of "even" which is it cannot be divided by 2. It cannot be divided at all, because there is nothing there to divide. ✶ is the most accurate. it's a special case, neither odd nor even. If your structure of the question requires making it fit into one of the two, then it is far closer to even than odd, that I agree.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Huh?

Last I checked, 0/2=0.

Seems easy enough to divide by 2 to me...
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
The Wolfram definition is "an integer of the form n = 2k, where k is an integer". (And 0 = 2 * 0, so check!)

(Odd numbers are n = 2k + 1, where k is an integer.)

Contrast with "is 0 positive or negative", which *is* one of those "neither" questions.

(Although I am but a nerd who recently read a math book, and will happily defer to the Actual Educator. :D )

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 -  
AllenGould wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:25 pm The Wolfram definition is "an integer of the form n = 2k, where k is an integer". (And 0 = 2 * 0, so check!)

(Odd numbers are n = 2k + 1, where k is an integer.)

Contrast with "is 0 positive or negative", which *is* one of those "neither" questions.

(Although I am but a nerd who recently read a math book, and will happily defer to the Actual Educator. :D )
This is exactly correct.
jadziadax8 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:19 am
Not at all. It's even by the standard definition of an even number, which Allen quoted.

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
The first known English use of zero was in 1598. The Italian mathematician Fibonacci (c. 1170–1250), who grew up in North Africa and is credited with introducing the decimal system to Europe, used the term zephyrum. This became zefiro in Italian, and was then contracted to zero in Venetian.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation