By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
VR Headset

Each VR headset aboard your [Dom] ship allows one Vorta, Jem'Hadar, or Cardassian present to enhance WEAPONS and SHIELDS +1 and (if Vorta) to serve as matching commander.

This card is not marked cumulative, but I don't think it needs to be because it says "each", correct?

My understanding of how this card works, it, let's say I have 3 of them on a ship with Weyoun.

I can only get +1 weapons and shields because each headset only allows ONE "Vorta, Jem'Hadar, or Cardassian" to enhance.

But if I bring Dukat and Luaren aboard, I have 2 Vorta and a Cardassian, and I can get the full +3 enhancement, one from each headset, correct?

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
BUMP with a new question.

Do I have to declare which Vorta is the matching commander to get the benefits of it? Or if asked to show a matching commander can I just show the headset and any Vorta?

Thinking of a situation, if I must declare, where I say something like “Weyoun is the matching commander” and he gets killed by a tactic. Then my opponent attacks me with a second ship. If Luaren is aboard, and I have to declare, that would be an order I have to execute on my turn, and I wouldn’t get the Captain’s Log benefit during the second attack on my ship.

By DataNoh (Chris Lund)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
What an awkward gametext. I'm also thrown by this phrase:
allows one Vorta, Jem'Hadar, or Cardassian present
This reads like you're enabling the player to perform an optional action. Which I'm pretty sure is not the intent here, given the things your personnel is "allowed" to do are phrased like automatic modifiers.

Either way, I'd say this card is targeting the personnel. It's not clear when you target them or if you can re-target, but if your personnel is discarded while using the Headset, the set should be discarded too.

I'd back your interpretation of its cumulativeness, but there's room for ambiguity.

My two cents - This card should work a bit like Mobile Holo-Emitter. My attempt to clarify the gametext:
May be "worn" by (placed on) your Vorta, Jem'Hadar, or Cardassian; you may remove it during your turn. While aboard your [Dom] ship, wearer adds 1 to WEAPONS and SHIELDS and (if Vorta) is its matching commander.

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
I think it works like a Starfleet Type II Phaser.

Federation and Non-Aligned use only. Each of your personnel present is STRENGTH +2. (Cumulative.)

Neither the phaser nor the headset targets the personnel nor is discarded if a personnel is discarded.

If you had only 1 [Fed] personnel and he had the phaser, if he is discarded any [NA] present can pick it up without an action and no personnel loose their +2 STR.

Likewise if you have 2 eligible Vorta, they are both matching commanders or put it another way if you have 6 Rinnak Pire's aboard your ❖ [Baj] ship, they are all matching commanders. If 5 die, the last one sits in the chair and you never loose the Captain's Log bonus.

By DataNoh (Chris Lund)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
I mean I'm certainly not opposed to it working like that. :D Just going off the gametext, though, I'd disagree.

The phaser always belongs to the whole Away Team or crew; it works after the [Fed] dies because it was never his to begin with. The headset is explicitly allowing one personnel to do a thing.

I don't see any other examples of cards "allowing" something that isn't an action, and all the equipment cards that use phrases like "one personnel present" (Classic Communicator, Hypospray, etc.) are talking about a specific personnel that has to be selected. A similar-ish card is Assimilation Table ("holds one personnel"), whose glossary entry explicitly calls out re-selecting the "one personnel" as an executed order.

Definitely think reasonable people could disagree on this one though! So it'd be up to a TD or a ruling.
Online CM RELEASE TOURNAMENT

Congrats to Mugato for going 4-0 in the tournament[…]

Jared Hoffman FW Mathew McCalpin 100-12

Card of the Day: Dumb Waiter

Does Dumb Waiter still work if you don't comma[…]

I just booked my flight for Thursday afternoon arr[…]