By WeAreBack
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I was wondering whether a VIP that enters play using Inspection has been "played" or "reported."

The text of the card reads:
"At the start of each of your turns, you may exchange an OFFICER personnel aboard your staffed ship with an Admiral or V.I.P. in your discard pile."

According to the glossary:
exchanging cards
When a card in play is exchanged for another card (e.g., persona replacement, one Founder morphing into another, Young Jem'Hadar exchanged for a universal Jem'Hadar) or replaced (discarded) by a downloaded card, any cards already played on, placed on, or aboard the card that is leaving play transfer to the replacement card unless their results are now inapplicable. You do not re-check the conditions (or targets for playing a card) for such cards. For example, you would discard Adapt: Modulate Shields from an Equipment card that morphed into a Founder using In the Bag, or discard Reflection Therapy if the skill it was replacing did not exist on a new version of a persona just exchanged. However, damage can apply to both a Borg Ship dilemma and a Borg Cube, so any damage would transfer when Retask [link to card] is played; and when a ship is transformed by '45 Dom Perignon, its crew transfers to the new ship.

When a card in play is exchanged for a card not in play (either by persona replacement or with a card that allows such an exchange, such as In the Bag or Macias), the new card is not reporting for duty. When a card in play is discarded and replaced by a card downloaded into play (e.g., Transporter Mixup), the downloaded card is reporting for duty.
With inspection, the card being replaced (the Officer) does go to the discard pile but that's just because that's where the card it was exchanged for (the VIP or admiral) was. I don't think this is like transporter mixup.

Mostly, I'm looking at how inspection interacts with the Mutual Distrust deck I have been working on. That is, I don't think I get to draw a card using a copy of Mutual distrust played on a personnel with Klingon Intelligence, if I use inspection to put Vakis or Sela with Tal Shiar onto a ship out of my discard pile using Inspection.

The sacred cow in 1E for me is: Not Oversimplifiyi[…]

@Rancour@gmx.de @Gul Dakar Florian gets the F[…]

Deck Design Strategy

And just to add to the overall discussion, coming […]

MN 2024 Gatherings

28th it is. 1E Event is up: https://www.trekcc.or[…]