By WeAreBack
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I remember that there was a change to the rules in the last couple of years that removed Zalkonian Stortage Capsule as a place you could conduct downloads from. I believe that the thinking at the time was that this would have little to no effect because the text of on Zalkonian Stortage Capsule allows you to move a card in the capsule to your hand "at any time."

I'm wondering if the "at any time" language still lets me perform this action during a mission or scouting attempt. My the glossary entry for "at any time says:
This phrase indicates that an action may be used during any phase of either player's turn (except start-of-turn or end-of-turn), between other actions or as a valid response. It may not interrupt other unrelated actions.
Its clear that if I encounter Rules of Obedience, I can play Change of Heart from my hand as a valid response. But I I want to go get change heart from my capsule to put it in my hand so that I can play it, is that a valid response?

Likewise, if I wanted to play something affecting an opponent's mission attempt, (the card that comes to mind is Double dumbass on you even though it is banned) is moving the card to my hand to play it a valid response?

Even if I have a [DL] that would download the card in the capsule, would I be able to use it?

Likewise, if my opponent hits DNA Security Scan could I use meditation to discard an objective in my hand in order to make the dilemma harder to get past?
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
the glossary wrote: This phrase indicates that an action may be used during any phase of either player's turn (except start-of-turn or end-of-turn), between other actions or as a valid response. It may not interrupt other unrelated actions
For the purposes of this rule, I am fairly sure a mission attempt is one action, so it may not inturpt the action. It instead can happen as the alternating action before or after the attempt.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Jon is right. You can't fetch from the Zalkonian Storage Capsule during an attempt, because it is all one action. Zalkonian Storage Capsule, like all "at any time" text, operates at "interrupt speed": you can use it any time you could use a random [1E-Int] that isn't a direct response.

The article you have in mind ( https://www.trekcc.org/articles/index.p ... ticle=3282 ) noted two reasons why the change was unlikely to change anyone's behavior. The first (as you recalled) was that most Zalkonian needs are already covered, since it works at interrupt speed to return things to your hand, so you're only in trouble if you need something from your Capsule during a mission attempt or battle and didn't get it out before starting.

The second was that nobody has actually used a Capsule in at least ten years, so it's mostly academic anyway. (By all means, though, use a Capsule! I'd love to see someone find value for it in 2023!)

Jared Hoffman FW Mathew McCalpin 100-12

Card of the Day: Dumb Waiter

Does Dumb Waiter still work if you don't comma[…]

I just booked my flight for Thursday afternoon arr[…]

solved, thanks :thumbsup: