A forum to post any bugs you may encounter while using TrekCC.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Hey, so, I was trying to look up some information in an older PM this morning and I've noticed that a bunch (though not all) of my PMs have been truncated into partial messages (or sometimes, partial sentences).

Is this something that's recoverable?
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
1E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
So I started seeing some errors in PMs on the 17th, which led me to trying to use an admin tool to reparse messages. This is what led to a lot of moderation notifications for ancient posts. But that's not what this thread is about.

What I've come to find is that something weird was going on with the collation of the database tables for PMs (and possibly forum posts, though I haven't seen any errors there). There was some sort mixing of collations for the text. When I ran the repair tool, it ended up choking on those messages.

It appears that any portion of a message after one of those collation oddities has simply disappeared. So if there was a latin1_bin character where utf8_bin was expected, everything after that in the message is possibly just *poof* gone.

Those odd characters seem to have been things like quotes or ticks or other special characters. Though not all quotes or ticks, which makes it a guessing game, sort of. It kind of depends what character set your keyboard / browser / computer were trying to send.

I have no idea how many messages were affected. The messages from prior to the upgrade last year could probably be restored with some work, from the database copy I made then. More recent messages are probably lost.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]