The National Championship Events offer year-round opportunities for high level competition outside of the traditional "Road to Worlds." Find out more about a National Event near you!

For more details about this tournament, to pre-register, or to view results, click here

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
jase wrote:As a recent returnee to the game I'd be intrigued to come along and see what the current tourney circuit was like and how the game play has changed since 2002/2003. Is it possible to attend but not play I.E. just come and watch? I'd be bringing a newbie with me. If so what is the craic and what do we need to do.

Cheers in advance.

Jase
Jase

You and your friend would be more than welcome, but why not join in?! There's plenty of players who are beginners already signed up to UK nationals, as the 1e community in the UK has grown a lot in the last 12 months.

I'm more than happy to lend you both decks (good, simple TNG solvers - nothing too complicated), and don't worry about a lack of familiarity with the rules/deck types at all. We're a friendly bunch and very accommodating :)

If you just want to watch, that's fine too, turn up and say hello!

By jase
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I'd have loved to have joined in but I cannot commit to the full day (and all the rounds). It just so happens that we're in the area and thought, if possible, it'd be good to stick our heads in and see what the "cool kids" are playing at Nationals.

My newbie friend is a tad frazzled by the mountain of rules so Im breaking him in slowly and going expansion by expansion, so he builds up his knowledge and experience much like I did back in the day. I think we're going to start with the Introductory 2 Player then add AU, Q so we have a solid PAQ core. Then FC, DS9, Dom, RoA, BoG, Mirror, The Borg, Holodeck. At that point he'll be as upto speed as I am. He's played CCG's before so has a decent idea and understanding of mechanics etc.

We'll pop in and offer some moral support and hope to attend something as players another time.

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
jase wrote:I'd have loved to have joined in but I cannot commit to the full day (and all the rounds). It just so happens that we're in the area and thought, if possible, it'd be good to stick our heads in and see what the "cool kids" are playing at Nationals.

My newbie friend is a tad frazzled by the mountain of rules so Im breaking him in slowly and going expansion by expansion, so he builds up his knowledge and experience much like I did back in the day. I think we're going to start with the Introductory 2 Player then add AU, Q so we have a solid PAQ core. Then FC, DS9, Dom, RoA, BoG, Mirror, The Borg, Holodeck. At that point he'll be as upto speed as I am. He's played CCG's before so has a decent idea and understanding of mechanics etc.

We'll pop in and offer some moral support and hope to attend something as players another time.
If you're trying to break him in slowly (rules-wise), instead I might suggest a bit of a different strategy...

Start with PAQ (as you said), then add in the TNG-block stuff. It's a natural fit with the PAQ stuff, doesn't add too many new rules, and gives lots of new options. Then go back to DS9/Dom/RoA, and by then Emissary will be out (and should mix in nicely with some of the cards from those sets (mainly DS9 I think, but Dom and RoA as well as the rest of the block is released). That should give a solid start, and you can mix in FC/The Borg (Borg is a huge rules burdon, and scary for a new player, save it for later), BoG (tactics can be scary as well), and the rest when you're more comfortable with stuff

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
jase wrote:Can you explain exactly what TNG Block is?
TNG-Block is the four virtual sets seen in green on this page. One of them ("The Next Generation: Supplemental") is just virtual reprints of existing cards, but the other three are full of new cards specifically made to work well with cards from the PAQ sets. Also, not part of that set, but Shades of Gray also contains a lot of good cards specifically meant to boost the PAQ cards, so any cards from there would also work well with those sets. Plus, because they're all virtual cards, you can easily print off as many of them as you'd like to jump right in, without needing to invest any additional money in those sets.

By jase
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

I have often wondered if it would be worth organising a beginners workshop for playing and general ST CCG stuff for those new to 1e or returning after a long hiatus. Somewhere central like Birmingham, with decent transport links. We could rent a hall and just chuck up some tables for people to meet and play? I was going to suggest it in this "Organized Play" area but can;t seem to create a new Topic. If there were enough interest we could make it a regular event. What are your thoughts?

Jase

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
jase wrote:That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

I have often wondered if it would be worth organising a beginners workshop for playing and general ST CCG stuff for those new to 1e or returning after a long hiatus. Somewhere central like Birmingham, with decent transport links. We could rent a hall and just chuck up some tables for people to meet and play? I was going to suggest it in this "Organized Play" area but can;t seem to create a new Topic. If there were enough interest we could make it a regular event. What are your thoughts?

Jase
Depending on when you get in to watch the guys play Nationals, if any of the 1E guys are spare, I'm sure they could sit you two down with two block starter decks and play them through with you guys. It wouldn't take more than an hourish I'd imagine. They'd probably even let you take those decks with you hahaha. Good luck and hope you guys make it. Those UK guys are rock'n group and know how to have fun....sometimes TOO MUCH fun!! *points at Niall* :D

~D
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
HoodieDM wrote:Those UK guys are rock'n group and know how to have fun....sometimes TOO MUCH fun!! *points at Niall* :D

~D
Already looking forward to Aberdeen Anarchy 2014!!!! :cheersL: :cheersL:
jase wrote:I have often wondered if it would be worth organising a beginners workshop for playing and general ST CCG stuff for those new to 1e or returning after a long hiatus. Somewhere central like Birmingham, with decent transport links. We could rent a hall and just chuck up some tables for people to meet and play? I was going to suggest it in this "Organized Play" area but can;t seem to create a new Topic. If there were enough interest we could make it a regular event. What are your thoughts?

Jase
Well, it's not quite as central as Birmingham but the Huddersfield group are relative beginners - maybe we could organise another weekend event there? (They usually play on weekday late nights so not as easy for people to travel to)

If not, I'm sure Danny would be happy to make one of the Manchester events a "beginner level" style event. I might even be able to rope in the new players from Suffolk to join in. I would need to promise them beer mind...

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hi Jase

When you turn up, I'll make sure I have all my TNG starters out so you and your mate can have a game. The experienced players can always help out as and when we can between rounds!

As for a beginners event, I'd be glad to host another of those. I'd also be willing to find a venue and run it in Birmingham (or somewhere nearby). There are a few more players down that way I'd like to make contact with, besides yourself and Sincil (Steve). Block format and some kind of sealed deck normally works well here, and we recently ran a 2-tournament beginners day in Huddersfield which went really well using those formats.

We can talk about this more in a few weeks if you like, but as long as we can find a weekend when you, Steve and your mate are free...it's a doddle from there.

Cheers
Danny

By Mogh, Son Of Worf (Meinhard S. Rohr)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E Swedish National Champion 2018
I'm somewhat torn ... I don't know what the other folks do that don't play. I'd much rather go to some pub or around town with you guys in the evening to be honest.
Given that there are only four sealed decks available: We could do something quite social which is big fun in backgammon tournaments: Build Tag Teams and play 2 vs 2 consultation sealed (ok its sealed, nothing really happens to be consulted, but it might be fun). This way the groups doesn't need to be divided too much in a way that only four players are in the sealed and the others go to town.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]